Got thisel ?? (4 pics)

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have lots of these at the back of our place.They are spiney & real tough weeds.We let a few mature so the butterflies & bees can enjoy.The blooms are pretty too.
100_1931.jpg

100_2057.jpg

100_2168.jpg

100_2178.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gadzooks, that's one mean looking plant! At least the butterflies and bees enjoy them.

I have to contend with what they call around here, "Italian" thistles. Then there's Scotch and bull types but they aren't near the garden. I doubt if the Italians are from Italy and the Scotch and Bull sounds like a pub . . .

The Italian thistles are perennials and the neighbor allows them to grow in his raspberry/grapevine jungle so the seed blows into the garden. I don't know what to do about it but a dandelion weeder gets them out of the garden fairly well - kinda.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet the bees love that one too, Nifty!

Here's one that seems to have little redeeming value. Would you like to get in there with your bare hands and straighten-up those stems? Think again!!

weargloves002.jpg
digitS' teasel

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fuller's teasel is an interesting plant. It was brought here by the colonials, they used it for carding fibers. A little bit of lore is if the dew that gathers in the cup formed by the leaves is used to wash one's face, they will become more lovely for their beloved :rose

I know many consider this a weed, but both my mother and I have it in our gardens, and there was a beautiful stand of it at the herb garden located at the John Jay Homestead in Katonah, NY. We went there this past July for our HSA gathering. Here's a picture:

teasel.jpg

The bees love it, too, which is something I'm always looking for. More variety for my bees = even better tasting, floral/herbal honey! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ann, I'll let it grow along some farmer's barb wire fence and plant something else for the bees.

I've been very tolerant of the wild carrot (Daucus something-or-other) around the outside of my large veggie garden. Additionally, I planted a variety of what I consider my "tea herbs" out there this year. I have various monardas and agastaches. My goodness, the bees loved 'em!!

Also the fennel flowers but I'm unsure if those plants will be there after 2008. Not as happy with that one for tea but if the bees want something similar, they can go back to the wild carrot.

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Calendulas are the herb of the year this year, if you plant some of them they'll come back year after year for you - those are some gorgeous weeds! :D A weed is a plant growing where you don't want it to grow, if you sow enough seeds and let some of them set and drop you'll have wonderful weeds. Hmmmm. I think I'll start another thread about that very thing.

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cool pics yall. I love the different weeds that grow around our place.Most of them have beautiful flowers & attract all kinds of bugs.
Our thisel also attracts stink bugs & soldier bugs.
:(

rooster-red

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bayouchica said:
We also let a few grow here. Just don't step on one with bare feet!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have thistle here too. Can't get rid of it. It is one of our state's noxious weeds and if you find it you are to destroy it before it blooms. Sometimes one escapes though and next thing you know you have 200 of the suckers popping out from the ground.

Latest posts