Gots seeds in the mail...

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I got some Freecycle seeds in the mail yesterday. I am thrilled because (1) I do not have money to buy seeds right now and (2) I also don't have any seeds leftover to trade with - so - free is good!

Here's a list of what I got (sorry for the mix of common and latin names, it's what's on the packets):

Abelmoschus manihot
Red beebalm
Convulvulus "blue ensign"
Datura
Purple liatris
Powder puff aster
Pink and yellow lantana
Agastache Apricot Sprite
Florenza Sunflower
Blue flax
Penstemmon firecracker red
Rubeckia "prairie sun"
Crocosmia "Lucifer"

Anyone grow any of these? Pointers? Likes, dislikes? I am going to take some time to research before I put them in the ground, of course, but I was just wondering if any of you have experience with these. From looking up plant photos, it looks like I received a beautiful lot.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
So I got some Freecycle seeds in the mail yesterday. I am thrilled because (1) I do not have money to buy seeds right now and (2) I also don't have any seeds leftover to trade with - so - free is good!

Here's a list of what I got (sorry for the mix of common and latin names, it's what's on the packets):

Abelmoschus manihot
Red beebalm
Convulvulus "blue ensign"
Datura
Purple liatris
Powder puff aster
Pink and yellow lantana
Agastache Apricot Sprite
Florenza Sunflower
Blue flax
Penstemmon firecracker red
Rubeckia "prairie sun"
Crocosmia "Lucifer"

Anyone grow any of these? Pointers? Likes, dislikes? I am going to take some time to research before I put them in the ground, of course, but I was just wondering if any of you have experience with these. From looking up plant photos, it looks like I received a beautiful lot.
Wow you have plenty of beautiful flower seeds :rose , i could imagine your thrilled and especially since they were free. May i ask where you got them for free? I would love free seeds.
Are you going to plant them this week?

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Wow you have plenty of beautiful flower seeds :rose , i could imagine your thrilled and especially since they were free. May i ask where you got them for free? I would love free seeds.
Are you going to plant them this week?
There was a woman on Freecycle who was giving away extra plants and seeds. I was too late for the plants, plus, I couldn't get to the location, so I asked if she would mai me the seeds. She did. Isn't that nice? I am really excited. :weee I do want to plant them but I have to finish the planter boxes I am making (out of wood pallets) first. Reduce, reuse, recycle! :ya

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have some of those, but I did not start from seed... go figure...

They are huge thriving plants now so I'm sure once you get them started you will LOVE them!

The Lantana and Penstemmon got HUGE so give them some space. Mine are needing about 30" across and have grown several feet high! I also found out in most areas Lantana is an annual, if you mulch them really well and have a mild winter, you get a good perennial in our zone!

Good luck!!!!!!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, vfem.
I have lantana in my front yard, and I do keep it as a perrenial. It keeps coming back bigger and bigger!! This will be the first time trying it from seed. Very exciting! I'm happy to hear that penstemmon gets big, I thought it was a small plant. I like big. :clap

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What a nice lady and great assortment of seeds! :rainbow-sun

Lantana is pretty much perennial here, and it sprouts from old growth, so don't do a hard prune in the fall/winter.

Datura gets really big, too. And it poisonous as all get out, pretty much the same thing as Jimson Weed. Deadly to animals that eat it. In TX, they call it locoweed.

Can't wait to see the pics of your flowers! :watering

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, I prune my lantana in the late Winter and it comes back so fast in the Spring, it's like I can almost watch it grow!
I read that Datura is poisonous, so I am thinking I should put it out front somewhere. I have a dog that eats EVERYTHING (case in point: he ate a whole bird yesterday and he threw up a beer bottle cap this morning! How in the heck... :barnie) and I am afraid he'll try to eat the Datura, too. So yeah, front yard for that one. ;)

Latest posts