Gotta hate when dis happens....

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yesterday i was most o' the day in the kitchen makin pickles with no misshaps. Janet comes home and says......"You need to preheat yer jars before puttin 'em in the cooker er yer gona break 'em"
" :hu ,I been doin it this way all day without a problem"
"It's only a matter of time till one explodes"
" Yes dear, i'll heat 'em up first"
Sooooooo.....i prehat my jars o' cukes before puttin 'em in the cooker and when i slip the 2nd jar in ...POP !!!
Bummer...a whole quart o' dill spears in the compost pile :he

Picture001Small-10.jpg

I did however manage 3 quarts and 3 pints o' b&b's and 4 quarts and 5 pints o' dills with no further mishaps. :tools
These things are sellin like there's no tomorrow at our local farmers market itellyawhut but we're gonn hafta break hearts this tuesday when we hafta say...." there aint no more pickles for sale coz we need to have some to git thru the winter with".
That is , unless God blesses us with a bumper crop (is that the correct term?) o' cukes.
I guess we could go to another local "market" and git some cukes and keep makin Janets local famous pickles...NAAAA dat would be cheatin.
NO WAIT, maybe we could trade our homegrown eggs for cukes from the gal next to us that sells mass quantities o' cukes each week. Would that keep things "home made"

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Homeade is in the makin not the growin in my opinion. If you bought all the ingredients at the store and cooked a meal at home isn't it still a home cooked meal?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would definitely buy the cukes, or trade for them.
People do not care where the cucumbers came from to make their favorite pickles anymore they care where the berries came from when they buy their favorite jam.
Give em what they want Jim!!!:)

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree with the other posts. IMO "homemade" means "from scratch" or mostly so. I have a friend who sells homemade pies and cookies at her store. She makes them at the store and the ingredients come from a restaurant supply company. It's the only option with the health department. Yet her cookies and pies are "homemade".

Latest posts