Grafting Trees....

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So,

As I was cleaning my garden today, my grandma struck up a convo about grafting trees. She was telling me about her father, and he used to graft tons of them when she was younger. She remembers what he did, but I was wondering if anyone else has done it or has links that I can read so we can get it figured out. We would love to try. I'd love to hear what you guys have done also! She told me her dad grafted a tree that grew 3 kinds of peaches, 1 kind of nectarine and I believe one plum. It might have been 2 kinds of nectarines and no plum, I cant remember,lol. Anyways, I'd appreciate everyones input!

Jordan

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't done it myself, but have watched others do it a number of times. It seems to revolve around three main things -- VERY GOOD SHARP tools, the pursuit of extremely high standards of precision (in matching the two parts you're putting together), and a willingness to make a bunch more grafts than you need because not all of them will make it.

It seems like a particularly good hobby for people who enjoy sharpening their tools and learning manual-dexterity types of handiwork. It does not seem to be difficult per se from what I have seen, provided you stick to easier situations and "vote early and often" until you get good at it ;) May as well give it a whirl if you're interested! There are plenty fo good websites and books out there.

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grafting instructions with pictures

To cut the scions, use new X-acto blades and change them frequently. The kind of blade you take out and replace, not the breakaway kind.

Unfortunately, an X-acto won't be strong enough to cut the rootstock properly. A really good kitchen knife, that's repeatedly sharpened and steeled, will work.

I never spent money on fancy-pants grafting tape when plain old electrical tape always did the job. Don't use duct tape though, it can take some bark off when you go to peel it away.

It's kinda too late in the year to do now, unless you are very far north. Grafting is best done in February - March, when the trees are really quite dormant. This time of year, they are trying to put out leaves--if you graft too late in the season, a union that is only sorta/kinda lined up won't take, it'll just put out leaves that wilt and die. Graft the same branch the same way early in the season, and it'll stand a chance of healing up and re-aligning itself.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you both! I really appreciate your input. My grandma told me we had to do it when the trees were dormant. I was just asking ahead because I didnt want to forget! It seems like something fun to try. My grandma is my best buddy and we love to try new projects, especially when it involves plants!

Rosalind, I really appreciate the link. She was telling us today about how her dad did it and it just amazes me! I think it is so cool. Thanks again.

Jordan

Latest posts