Grain Mills - Any Experiences?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband wants a grain mill for his birthday. Anyone have any experiences with various brands? I've got a few months before his b-day comes around, and I don't want to buy one I'll regret getting later.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to be of service. I went down this road a couple of years ago. First I researched the wheat.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/which-wheat-red-white-hard-soft.12598/

Then I made some more progress

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/i-finally-did-it-i-ground-wheat-and-made-bread.12849/

Then after a lot of research on mills, I bought one and the link where I bought it is in this link.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/i-got-a-family-grain-mill.13058/

I have to admit that I don't bake bread every week. But I do use the mill and make the yummiest bread and rolls! I also mill cornmeal and make the best tasting cornbread EVER! Especially when it is from corn that I grow. YUM.

I also ordered more wheat from http://www.montanaflour.com/

I added the wheat to my bucket stack, LOL all sealed and vacuumed with my Food Saver. I made long bags and put two to a bucket, filled them in the bucket and sealed.

I bought the Family Grain Mill with the electric motor and got the hand crank too. Definitely get the motor.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the tips! That looks like an awesome mill. :) Only, there is no dealer in WA. Did you order through a dealer or directly from the manufacturer when you called?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got it here
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fgm.html

There are cheaper ones out there, but I like to buy ONE time, not ten. And there are mills out there 2 or 3 times the cost of this one, one of which cost over $600 and it was hand crank. No. I like the Family Grain Mill, I am happy with it and it does what I want.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Call and tell them you got a great recommendation from this forum. Ask if they have any kind of sale. I think I got free shipping on mine and their price was lower than any other I found. I told them that another company offered free shipping, so they matched it. Buuuuut I didn't mention the other guys price!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are wimpy !!! I have a commercial 220 grinder sitting in my garage at the moment that I ground beef, lamb, hog, corn ( a garbage can full in just a few minutes ), etc. for goin' on 30 years and never missed a beat. If someone says pretty please and brings a wheelbarrow full of gold, they can go home with it. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is it powered by? Testosterone?
Yea, and on steroids too ! As in 220v electric ... same as what your electric dryer is eating 220v to create heat , blow hot air and tumble. Or hubbby's 220 electric welder melting welding rods and spewing sparks with. Every farm should have one to save lots and lots of time and labor for their "do it yourself " food supply first to feed their livestock, then process the meat and grains to feed themselves. :cool:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule reads @bobm 's post about super-duper grinder.......walks into utility room......gazes at tiny meat grinder that takes hours to process a deer...... hangs head.....sighs.....raises eyes to grain mill.......well, craptastic, thanks a LOT BOB!!! :\

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well bay, since you will be selling your city mansion and move to a double wide to live off the land... you will really need this well used antique grinder to process the hordes of feral hogs that have the nerve to till and ingest your spanking new garden produce. When you do sell your mansion, and strictly to ease your mind of the loss of your hard days of work in your new gardens, and for your conveniance just include into your escrow instructions to do an electronic transfer deposit of the proceeds into my account and I will UPS this meat grinder with a rush delivery at no extra charge. You will however have your contractor install a 220 service at a location that is convenient for processing at your expense. Then you can just relax and enjoy a hot soakie bath knowing all is well. Note: new paint not included as it would destroy the patena on this fine antique thereby decreasing it's value. :)

Latest posts