Grape Vines-Arrgggg!

kenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We moved to this place four years ago. It had an established grape vines growing in my fence. We moved here in late fall and I couldn't wait for spring so I could grow some grapes. The first spring/summer, they put on tons of clusters and the grapes got about the size of B-B's and then popped! I thought maybe a good pruning would help. So that fall I pruned, just like the experts said. The next season, clusters galore, grapes the size of B-B's and then pop again. After four years of popping (I noticed they were popping again this year), I am ready to give up. I bought some new vines that I planted last fall. My questions are these: should cut out the old vine, or is there some old grape growing secret that can help? and will its behavior have a bad effect on my new vines if they cross pollinate? Any help would be appreciated.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to see pictures as to the kind of grapes these were?!

I have been told that over production of grapes can be an issue and for better quality grapes to remove half of what they start to produce so they could spend better amounts of energy on the few clusters rather then many clusters!

kenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found a picture of the vine on google, its an ornamental vine. It was never designed for fruit. Just my luck i spend four years trying to get grapes from a non-bearing grape vine.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Well, go to ISONS and order yourself some muscadine vines. You will have fruit in 3 years and then you can start makeing wine. Isons is THE place for your muscadine needs.

Latest posts