Grapes are Ripe!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yours look just like mine. I have 5 mature grape vines. You have enough there for ~ 8 1/2 pints of grape jelly--I just made some a few days ago. Don't ask me how to keep it from running (or how to catch it, ha, ha :lol: :lol: ) bc I doubled the pectin just to get the jel last time.
The taste difference between fresh and the stuff on the store's shelf is remarkable.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just letting the folks who live in zone 4 and might have thought they could not grow grapes, there is a grape variety that can grow in zone 4!

VALIANT is not only tough as nails for zone 4, it wisely is late to bud out, and will hardly ever get caught by those late froststhat happen every third year without warning. The grapes are purple and smallish, seeded. They are not known as the sweetest grapes, but in zone 4 grown by yourself, they taste sweet. They are sweet enough, and good.

It is a good grape for zone 5 too, where it'll be your standby if you get a short crop on the others because of a late frost.

Up in Montana when I lived there, we sure did try other varieties. Interlaken made it through the first winter, but faded after the second winter, just like a lot of other zone 5 plants do in zone 4. Concord did not sprout after the first winter. Winters are looooonggg in zone 4.

Those are some beauties GreenThumb!

Latest posts