Grapes!!!!!!!!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my grape crop, their starting to turn deep purplish, ummm they were so sweet :drool I only wish i had more grapes for making wine............ :D I might try to plant more this fall since these didnt do too bad.

Enjoy!!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guess what I just logged in to post....

1003450.jpg

They turned purple SO FAST!

They are EVERYWHERE!!!

:weee

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla,

Hey yours look better than mine .... :lol: :lol:

Yep they sure do change color pretty fast, are you going to use your grapes to make jelly or jam perhaps? or if you have enough make some wine... ;)

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wow nice looking grapes.... now if i could just keep the goats from getting out i probably could have grapes by now!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just stopped by to be jealous! Good for you!!!! I am thinking I will have enough for one batch of wine next year ..no pics now but I have a few bunches of very nice ones ..

next year though wine making contest!!!!

I did buy a bunch of concord grapes and ate them under my vines so maybe they would get the hormones, vibes, energy or something :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OHHH those are scrumptious !

I have vines but they just do not produce well; perhaps you can share your secrets.

Ron

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your nice comments i appreciate it !! ;)

miron28,
Have you thought about growing your grapes on a high trellis so the goats dont have access to them? Or maybe put a fence around the grapes or even better an electric fence?

HiDelight,
Thanks! Oh yeah i'm all in for that wine making contest !! :p that would be a lot of fun. Concord grapes are really good they have that certain taste about them that i really enjoy.

Tryingtohaveitall,
Thanks the vines are about 3 to 4 years old.

There's actually a story that goes with this grape, I planted this grape from a cutting 4 years ago. My cousins had these grapevines that grew in their backyard that their father had planted. Well when their father moved, my cousins decided to get rid of the grapevines and honestly i didnt like the fact that they wanted to do that, these grapevines were planted by their father at least 20 years ago. Apparently they wanted to get rid of the grapevine because it attracted bees, i thought to myself how could you just throw something away that your father had planted all these years over bees. I mean at that time i had no grapes in my garden and would of killed for a healthy nice grapevine that had great yields i could do so much with all those grapes, some people would kill for that kind of 20 year old vine. And their was a time i used their grapes for making wine because they just allowed them to rot and go to waste. Then that day came where they wanted to cut the entire grapevine down, my cousins had called my father to help cut them down and i decided to go along with him (of course very upset that they would want to do this) I thought to myself You know there is something i can do to keep this variety going, so i decided to take a batch of grape vines they had cut and left on the curb, i brought them all home and stuck them in a bucket of water. This was my first time rooting cuttings and by a month after i had grape cuttings with roots. I planted a few of those cuttings, not all of those cuttings developed roots but i was happy with those that i did plant. And thats where these grapevines came from, i was happy that at least i saved this variety from becoming to the landfill.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
OHHH those are scrumptious !

I have vines but they just do not produce well; perhaps you can share your secrets.

Ron
Sorry Greensage i forgot to fit you in to the previous post.

Vines must be pruned properly each year for maximum fruitfulness and health.
I know that for grapes you have to remove 75% - 90% of the previous years growth in the fall in order for them to produce good. How old are your vines? Ohh and make sure you dont give them too much nitrogen. I'm sure you'll have a good crop of grapes soon. Just keep learning as much as you can about them, your time will come ;)

I know a few places that sell grape plants at bearing age, you'll have grapes much quicker it is a little expensive but i'm sure its worth it.

Hope this helps!!!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh darn I was going to skip pruning them this year I am trying to get them to cover a huge arbor and thought I would get more grapes if I had a bigger vine ..see how much I know about grapes??? I thought I was over pruning but the vines are just under five years old so maybe next year if I prune heavy I will do better?

and if I dont they will not produce?

we do prune them in the fall when the leaves fall off dont we?

I want production! and I want wine :love..so really 90% has to go?

oh well I will do it..

Latest posts