Grass Clippings

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I finally got a new lawnmower that has a bagging attachment. The previous one only mulched the clippings, which was great for the grass, but not for my compost pile. Now, I can get that grass for the compost pile.

But I have questions: How do you handle the grass clippings? Are they dried first and then added, or are they added while fresh? It's been years since I've used grass clippings in my compost pile and all I remember is a stinky, slimy mess from adding too much at one time. I'm usually in need of browns for my compost pile, since it consists mainly of chicken poop and kitchen scraps, plus whatever leaves I can scrounge up in the fall.

Jo-Ann

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi! Grass clippings can be tricky. They are a "green" when fresh and wet and a "brown" when they are dry and mixed with leaves. What I do is to try to mix them thoroughly with leaves or into the existing compost as soon as I put them in. If you layer them in there is the chance that they will mildew and form a mat of grey, dusty water resistant yuck that you don't want. I have had that happen to me several times and it is difficult to fix. My dad used to lay his grass clippings out in a thin layer on his driveway to dry. The hot concrete would dry them out quickly and he would turn them a time or two to help them all dry, he then used them as mulch in the flowerbeds. You could do that or scatter dry leaves on the lawn while cutting the grass so that it is mixed in the bag. I am often tempted to pick up bags of leaves or piles of pinestraw on the side of the road in the fall for my compost heap!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I consider grass clippings the most important thing for my garden. I do not compost them I use them for mulch. I use them on the most difficult to weed veggies-carrots,onions etc. Of course they then decompose in the garden.
jomoncon said:
I finally got a new lawnmower that has a bagging attachment. The previous one only mulched the clippings, which was great for the grass, but not for my compost pile. Now, I can get that grass for the compost pile.

But I have questions: How do you handle the grass clippings? Are they dried first and then added, or are they added while fresh? It's been years since I've used grass clippings in my compost pile and all I remember is a stinky, slimy mess from adding too much at one time. I'm usually in need of browns for my compost pile, since it consists mainly of chicken poop and kitchen scraps, plus whatever leaves I can scrounge up in the fall.

Jo-Ann

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grass clippings = a HOT compost pile. This is the main ingredient in my composters. I'll either mix them in, or if I'm too tired from a long day, then I just throw them on top of the pile and come back later and mix them in.

Jo-Ann, since you don't have a lot of brown, then I wouldn't add them green, I would let them dry out first and add them gradually.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern is right... they need HOT to compost well or you'll end up with grass WEEDS in your garden. If I wait to long to mow, (and I have a hard time keeping my compost HOT) I end up just burning them and adding the ash to the compost. With regular mowing, and I know they haven't gone to seed I just throw them into the compost then... or use as mulch. So many options with clippings... but you have to make the call on which option.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
In the heat of the summer I just spread mine out right after bagging them. They only heat up and ferment when piled. If you wait until the next day to use them, you WILL have a hot, slimy mess. Try NOT to cut and bag up cut grass that has gone to seed, or else you'll be planting grass in your beds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I layered my grass clippings with horse manure, which my dog had a GREAT time with! :lol: And I put a bunch in the chicken coop for them to enjoy and compost for me. :mow

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have one garden bed that we plow every spring. What about laying the grass clippings out on the bed in the spring and plowing it in?

We grow corn there as well as radishes, and beets.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are all great suggestions.

I'd go with drying the grass clippings on the driveway thoroughly, then adding them as brown.

If you were in a place that has a cold winter, a large green grass clippings compost pile near the garden can be a season extender.

I never tried it, but ole Arly used to put a lot of green grass clippings mixed with horse poop under his cold frame with a deep layer of composty soil over it and had things growing in it until december in montana!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you compost green grass clippings mix it well with some browns. If it lays together as a thick mat you won't get enough air into them and they will become anaerobic.

Latest posts