Grasshopper/Leafhopper infestation - GRRRRR!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year is proving to be a huge bug year. We started with billions and billions of leafhoppers - they are all over everything, even inside the house. Now we have a grasshopper infestation as well. I went to the local nursery and they said that we are in the middle of a 3-year cycle and that next year will be even worse! Are you kidding me? Worse? :barnie The darn things stripped several of my tomato plants before I could figure out what to do about them. The best I could come up with is either to create a bacteria barrier around the garden area, which would take lots of precious water, or Sevin dust. I opted for the Sevin dust, so we will see how it goes.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had grasshopper problems for some years Skeeter, and last year Steve clued me in to a bait that works by making them sick, then the sick ones get eaten by the healthy ones and they get sick etc. and the population begins to decline.

It seemed to help a lot last year, and I'm planning on ordering some more this year, it was very reasonably priced. Here's a link to the thread - http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31327

Oh by the way, your iris are beginning to bloom! They're beautiful!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skeeter9, there is that new country-western line dance............called the grasshopper stomp! :lol:

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule, you are just hilarious, but the dance is more like flailing around trying to get the nasty things out or your clothes, hair, etc. My husband even found one in his skivvies the other day!

Thistlebloom, I checked out that bait and it looks like it's definitely worth a try. I will be ordering it as soon as I get paid. I'm so glad your iris are doing well. If you can, post pics - I would love to see what I sent you! lol

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky the leafhoppers aren't touching anything I'm growing except okra. How long does Sevin keep? I have a container of it that I just opened which is probably over 25 years old. It's cardboard with the dust in it if that makes a difference.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everything I've read says guineas are heck on grasshoppers. Never kept them myself but Id take a look at them. Plus when the seasons up you've got guinea eggs or guinea eats! Plus no more grasshoppers!

Latest posts