Gravel in the manure!

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I now have access to a lot of free horse manure, but it does have small amount of small gravel in it ( I would say 0.5%). Do people think this is:

a) good for drainage

b) bad for the garden

c) it will make no difference

I would appreciate your thoughts!!

Ryan

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well rmonge, I don't think it will make any difference. Some of us would love to have a " little" gravel. ( as opposed to a whole lot!)
Right digitS?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think it would help or hurt to have 5% gravel in the manure. But it is 100% better than having no manure at all, my .02

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I agree gravel isn't going to hurt the manure, when I clean out my birds pens their manure is mixed with sand and doesn't seem to hurt.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one spot in my garden that has small gravel type stones in it. Didn't put them there but it is the better corner of my garden. Not heavily graveled, I;ve never even worried about it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I have one spot in my garden that has small gravel type stones in it. Didn't put them there but it is the better corner of my garden. Not heavily graveled, I;ve never even worried about it.
At one time my house had a crushed brick roof. When they removed it half the crushed brick ended up in the soil. It still produces well and the brick doesn't interfere with tilling. I've also noticed the worms like the places with the most brick.

Latest posts