Great Deal Might Be Big Mistake

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I had to pick up some supplies for work. I went to local big box store and just had to check out their garden section. I always love the weird look of Harry Lauder walking stick, but not enough to pay the large price of them. last night the tree forums where marked down from $99 to $9.00. At $9 a grabbed 2 trees. When I went to check out they come up $4.99 each. So I got 3 more at that price. I have friends who like to garden and am going to gift them a tree. This morning I went online to find out how to care for this tree. I learned Eastern Fibert Blight is a big big problem with them. There is no treatment and the tree will die.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe there are measures you can take to prevent it, like preventing weeds and allowing air movement around the plant...that sort of thing, like you do in an orchard. Either way, I think at that price, it is worth the gamble. If all else fails, you can use the sticks in silk flower arrangements. ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
At that price, well worth the risk. You might have some luck and knowing ahead what to look for, try prevention. I would love to give one a try. They are so cool. :cool: Good Luck

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This article talks about controlling Eastern Filbert Blight. It's from Oregon. You might want to check with the New York extension service to see if they have anything similar that might be more specific to your area.

It also talks about certain varieties being more resistant than others. What variety did you get?

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/ec/ec1499.pdf

It takes a chemical approach as well as a cultural approach to control it. If you don't use chemicals it looks like it will be real rough for you. Also, since it takes over a year to show visible signs, you have to start spraying even if you never see it.

I don't know if all this is worth it to you to make the effort.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know about blight, but the Japenese Beetle get mine every year! EVERY...SINGLE....LEAF! :he

They are very cool and even with no leaves they are a great addition to your gardens architecture. Enjoy your great find!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love mine... so far no problems with blight. The beetles do love it, and so do the caterpillars- I spend a few minutes each summer evening plucking one thing or another off it! Even so, it is one of favorite garden items. Enjoy yours!