GREAT NEWS!!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... I called Meyer Hatchery this morning, and they are going to send me some chicks next week! They didn't have ANY EEs until August, and I told her that I really wanted to keep the chicks closer in age, so, they're sending me out Buckeyes next week! How cool!!! I just hope they will do okay in our heat!! I told her that I wanted an EE rooster... but part of me wants to call them back and tell them I want a Buckeye rooster! Buckeyes are considered "hard to find" and are a dual purpose bird. What do you guys think... should I call them back and tell them I want the Buckeye rooster instead of the EE??

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love my Meyer EE roo Oreo

7236_combpretty.jpg

Not his best pic, but the one I had in the computer.

But if I were you I'd get the buckeye roo to go w/ the buckeye girls.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 6 buckeyes that are almost 8 weeks old and I really like them. I have been trying to raise them for two years now but lost to the raccoon last year. I got my eggs from a breeder and they are expensive. Good luck and I think you will be pleased with the buckeyes.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... we already have the 3 EEs... but you guys are thinking I should go with the Buckeye roo then? I guess the good thing about that is that I could potentially sell the chicks for more than I could an EE chick, right? Of course... not MUCH more... LOL but more. :) I wonder if they're going to send me all Buckeyes or what... it SAYS on their website that there is a limit of 3... but I'm getting 5 chicks! I wonder if that's going to cause a problem. Hmmmmm......

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had an EE roo that looked just like Kassaundra's! He really didn't have a tail tho'.

He was quite "gentlemanly," very good at looking after the hens and I appreciated his small size. The hens were Australorps. I always went for small size roos back when I felt that I could have them. (Not for a long time now, out of concern for my neighbors.)

Another rooster I had that was absolutely beautiful was Gabe, a Silver Spangled Hamburg. He only weighed half as much as the Australorps (my usual choice of hen) but you couldn't really tell that since he carried himself so upright. He was from a very flighty breed but didn't behave that way, at all. Those frumpy, dumpy hens weren't going to be flying off over trees and rooftops. So, he didn't either.

Steve
who knows nothing about Buckeyes

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay... so I changed my order (again... LOL) and I will have FIVE Buckeyes heading my way on Monday! How cool is THAT?!

And Steve... Buckeyes were bred in Ohio, have dark mahogany feathers (like Buckeyes) and their wing and tail feathers will show some black. They are said to be very friendly, social birds, and some even say that they predated the RIRs!

Here is a wiki article *click*

It's actually quite exciting! Now I will just need to remember to eat all the EE eggs so we don't have any crossing! :-D

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My Mom breeds, shows, and sells Buckeyes. :) When she got her farm, I goaded her into getting chickens.... I wanted some, but have such a tiny yard, and she had some 28 acres. She got buckeyes because she'd read somewhere that they'll hunt mice.

http://www.jsquaredfarms.com/

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
joz said:
My Mom breeds, shows, and sells Buckeyes. :) When she got her farm, I goaded her into getting chickens.... I wanted some, but have such a tiny yard, and she had some 28 acres. She got buckeyes because she'd read somewhere that they'll hunt mice.

http://www.jsquaredfarms.com/
My EE eat mice, and I have a young NN batch just about 12 wks old and one of them caught and ate a mouse last week. We use live traps for the mice and now just take them out to the chickens, they take care of the problem fast. (most of the mice they eat are given them from the live trap, but I have witnessed them catch their own also.)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My experience w/ EE roos is that they are either VERY aggressive towards the ladies, or are pure gentlemen.

My favorite roo is an EE and he is the sweetest roo, towards me and his ladies.
The rest of his roo buddies were terrible... which is why I no longer have them. :)

6a00d8341c2d2753ef0134855cb479970c-800wi

6a00d8341c2d2753ef0133ec899820970b-800wi

6a00d8341c2d2753ef01347fb98915970c-800wi

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How exciting!

My chicks are almost old enough to lay! I'm so excited I can hardly handle it! Every day I'm out there looking for eggs.

I love the pics of the roos. I hope the one of my 12 chicks that was a male gets pretty like those pics. He is kinda silly right now while he figures out how to crow! lol :lol:

Latest posts