Great site!

janet2802

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am on Backyard Chicken too, but saw this site and had to check it out. Wonderful information! Have a question, speaking of chickens. My husband and I are putting in a vegetable garden again this year on a larger scale. Last years was an 8 x 16 size and did pretty well. This year it is more like a 25 x 25 or so (husband's idea). We have the manure from the horses and chickens (does it matter if I can put out the chicken poo with sawdust too?), but was reading that I can put my beloved hens in the garden area to eat up the bugs or other things before planting. My husband thinks the area is too big for them (I only have 5 girls and 1 boy) to get done in the timely manner he wants it. What do you think?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I'd ask you husband who was going to eat any those bugs if you don't let the girls (and boy) have at it? :rainbow-sun

Welcome to the forum! :watering

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome to the group!

I would definitely let the chickens out there to get started! My girls love digging around in my veggie area for whatever little tidbits they can find.

As for the chicken poo and the sawdust, I compost my coop cleanings (chicken poo and wood shavings) in my compost pile. The key is to use lots of green material to help counter all the shavings and to provide a larger base so that the shavings are a smaller part of the compost. So far it's working great!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Janet-
Get those girls out there for some bug clean up! But keep them out after you plant... I learned the hard way. :barnie

janet2802

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And I will get my girls moving. They need to earn their keep before hubby thinks they would make a better stew.

Latest posts