Green bean recipes please!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am getting a ton of green beans and I would love to hear some new things to do with them. All I have really done with them so far is to steam them, or cook them on the stove top with a little oil, garlic, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. I love them how I do them on the stove top, but it does get a little old after the 3rd day in a row. What else can I do with them?

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My favorite way is to get some good smokey bacon and cut into 1 inch pieces and fry till almost done, add that to the green beans, add 1 chopped medium sweet onion, add enough water to cover and bring to a boil and then simmer till done. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Slim tinder ones are also good dipped in tempura batter and fried.

Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper or Cajun seasoning and grill or broil.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can always make green bean cassarole with them. Much better w/fresh green beans than out of can.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi PotterWatch :frow

Try this very simple but tasty recipe:-

http://www.talkoftomatoes.com/2006/12/20/lemony-green-beans/

It's also great on broccoli! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add another recipe for a great salad using green beans & potatoes with pesto.

http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/gourmetsalads/r/pestopotato.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, freeze them of course :)

But in terms of eating, I like them very much in stirfries of various sorts; or steamed-or-boiled with a little olive oil and parmesan over them; or steamed-or-boiled with some fresh or canned or stewed tomatoes mixed in. Actually they're even good, cooked, with a little bit of last night's spaghetti sauce stirred in :)

Or steam them and use them for dipping in your favorite dip (my favorites: stir some grated parmesan into some sour cream, or mix together about 2 parts honey to 1 part dijon-style mustard)

My green beans aren't even close to flowering yet :p

Have fun,

Pat

steve_of_sandspoultry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Can always make green bean cassarole with them. Much better w/fresh green beans than out of can.
That's what I was going to say - that's one of my fav bean dishes. A couple pieces of bacon and sliced onion on top for flavor.

Steve in NC

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great ideas! I think the first one I will try is the Lemony Green Beans, that sounds great!

Latest posts