Green pumpkins

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So despite my valiant efforts to save them, it looks like the squash borers have done in my pumpkins. :hit Is there anything I can do with the green pumpkins? They're pretty far from ripe, so I doubt I'll be able to ripen them in some other way.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
So despite my valiant efforts to save them, it looks like the squash borers have done in my pumpkins. :hit Is there anything I can do with the green pumpkins? They're pretty far from ripe, so I doubt I'll be able to ripen them in some other way.
do you have compost to add them too? if not just break them up and add them to your garden soil. for some reason they seem to be great fertilizer for next years pumpkins.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Kate!
Do they have any seeds yet? I love the toasted seeds! Also if they are pretty maybe you could take them inside and diplay them in a bowl. Pumkins keep forever. The you could add them to the compost. Just ideas!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I think they're big enough to have seeds, so that's a good idea. Toasted pumpkin seeds are delish! The chickens would probably like them, too!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickens seem to love squash, so I imagine they would like pumpkin as well. I tossed a couple of insect chewed immature squash from my compost volunteer plants, and they gobbled them up.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How do you toast a pumpkin seed? After you do then do you eat the whole thing or is it split like a sunflower seed?

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I rinse mine off since they will have pumpkin on them then toast them in my toaster oven at about 350 degrees. You have to watch them, seeds burn quickly. Shake them every few minutes until golden brown. You can sprinkle them with seasoning salt before you put them in. That makes them really good.
You can eat them just like that or top soups and salads with them.

Latest posts