Green Taters

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So excited when my first harvest of potatoes gave about 45 lbs of new and good sized. I put them in a basket and put them under the table in the dining room its pretty dark and i planned to use them quickly.
I went into hospital unexpected there a week, my son put ghe potatoes on the porch. Now I have a basket full of green potatoes! Any way to bring them back around?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would peel them and see how deep the green goes. You really shouldn't eat the green part...but, it might just be on the surface. That is a shame!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
thats a shame.. if they are no good let me know and once the burbank russets are done will bring you some, my turn to come out and see your garden....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
South-est Wisconsin, Marshall?

@the1honeycomb, I am so sorry. That is not what you want your harvest for. Hopefully you will be able to salvage most of the potatoes. It could be worse.

Last August, my BFFs harvested their potatoes. It was their first successful potato harvest. BFF1 put the spuds in the sauna (not being used, of course) to cure. Then she promptly fell into the burning pit and broke her leg.

BFF2, her twin sister and a nurse, got her out of the pit and to the emergency room, then came to live with her -- helping her with her leg, the house, and the two granddaughters BFF1 is raising. Fast forward to February -- yes, February -- the first day BFF1 made it to the sauna. Frozen, rotted, and black potatoes lined up neatly on their steps. In the excitement of the accident, and the fact that BFF1 didn't do any cooking for the next three months, the potatoes were a lost cause. That and the wood steps in the sauna need to be replaced.

See, peeling a bit of green off isn't nearly as bad as it could be. I don't know if putting them into dark storage would cause the green to go away or not. I've never tried.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well dw myself and the little spuds are packing our bags to see everyone.
images.jpeg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like something my DH would do! That's a bummer. Yeah, try peeling if off if you can.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh too bad Honeycomb. I hope you are feeling better too, an unexpected hospital stay doesn't sound good.

Potatoes that have developed green skins will not revert no matter how dark or long the storage is. At least that's been my experience.

Latest posts