Green Tomatoes

Flowerchick

Sprout
Reaction score
I was removing flowers from my tomato plants today (ironically because I had SO many tomatoes on the vine) when I accidentally broke off a large branch loaded with large green tomatoes. :barnie Is there any way to ripen them? I have never eaten green tomatoes, although I have seen recipes including them. I really want ripe ones! Help, please!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd sit them in the window sill behind my kitchen sick-I've ripened several this way over the years. Do not refrigerate them or they wont ripen. Also I've read about putting them in a paper sack with an apple I think it is...but can't remember that way.
Just yesterday a fellow gave me a bunch of green tomatoes-I'm gonna fry some-YUMMY!!! and the others I left on the picnic table to ripen in the sun.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
robbobbin said:
I'd sit them in the window sill behind my kitchen sick-I've ripened several this way over the years. Do not refrigerate them or they wont ripen. Also I've read about putting them in a paper sack with an apple I think it is...but can't remember that way.
Just yesterday a fellow gave me a bunch of green tomatoes-I'm gonna fry some-YUMMY!!! and the others I left on the picnic table to ripen in the sun.
You put them in a paper sack with a banana :D Alton Brown did it on Good Eats. That was with a yellow tomato though, hopefully green will ripen in time! Good luck.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are dead green, they may start to get wrinkly and floppy before really ripening. If they have started to whiten or yellow even a little bit, putting them somewhere with moderate temperatures and no direct sunlight, preferably with bananas or apples nearby, will give you a reasonable shot. However starting from green they will not be nearly as good as they should be. Personally I'd fry 'em up, mmmm :)

Good luck,

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just put them in a dark corner cabinet and hope for the best.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can also put them in a box with newpaper on bottom and top of them. That is what I do with the end of the year when it starts getting cold. They ripen and are good.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wrap 'em in newspaper and stick 'em in a paper bag. They will ripen but be patient.
ORRRRRRRRR...slice 'em, sit 'em on a paper towel, sprinkle sugar in 'em then put 'em in the fridge fer a while. Then heat some olive oil in a skillet(preferably cast iron),drag 'em thru some flower,( you can toss a weee bit o' italian seasoning in the flower if ya like), and fry 'em up. :love
We SO NEED a droooooooool emoticon here !!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
janetnjim said:
Wrap 'em in newspaper and stick 'em in a paper bag. They will ripen but be patient.
ORRRRRRRRR...slice 'em, sit 'em on a paper towel, sprinkle sugar in 'em then put 'em in the fridge fer a while. Then heat some olive oil in a skillet(preferably cast iron),drag 'em thru some flower,( you can toss a weee bit o' italian seasoning in the flower if ya like), and fry 'em up. :love
We SO NEED a droooooooool emoticon here !!!
Or my mom's way - dip in beaten egg then dredge in cornmeal, then fry in cast iron skillet, preferably with some bacon drippings involved in the oil.

<drool>

Pat

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
:ep You girls are terriable, :eek:

shame on You both :duc

making me droool :rant

and hungry like that... :p :p :p

I want some Fried Green Tomatoes :ya :ya :ya
MMMmmmm....i guess Janet and I need to say who's doin the typin in here huh ? :lol:
Jim :frow
But thanx for the compliment anywho karan,i'll pass it on to Janet. She made the recipe for the tomatoes. MMmmm...come to think of it....she cooked 'em too :cool:
She says that all i do "is grow the stuff" :tools
:D