Greenhouse cukes

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had pretty good success with regular cukes in the garden, but this year I want to try the "English cucumber", hothouse cukes.

What is the best way to hang these? I seem to recall seeing someone using a thick string, hung from the hothouse ceiling. Do you just wrap the string around the vine, or do you use velcro ties, or something similar. I don't want the vine breaking or getting damaged once the weight of the fruit starts becoming a factor.

As these are potted, unlike my garden cukes, I suspect they may need supplemental feeding. Would fish fertilizer suffice for their needs, or ??? How often, how much?

Any experiences really appreciated.:)

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have grown greenhouse cucumbers a couple of times. They have tendrils so I used canes for support and let them twine themselves around them. I did not get any broken stems.
I planted them in 12" tubs with holes about 2" from the bottom so that water was retained in the bottom.
I fed them with tomato fertilizer.
They are said to like it humid or at least not too dry.
You can get all female varieties so that you do not have to remove the male flowers.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Warren.:)

I was thinking someone, somewhere, must have grown them at one time or another.

I did some research since I originally posted this thread, and did find a couple of ways to support the plants. The self clinging, cane method, would seem to be the easiest though.

bodnsoul

Sprout
Reaction score
I use the 5 x 5 or 6 x 6 concrete reinforcing mesh to trellis my cukes. I make an a-frame from 2x4s with the mesh panels attached with fencing staples to the 2x4s. This is the way Bob Thompson did it in the "new Victory Garden and it works pretty well. You sometimes need to train them to the trellis a bit as they want to run all over, especially the french cornichons I have started to love.

Latest posts