Greenhouse plastic?

kmenchicks

Sprout
Reaction score
So we are building our first hoop house. It's roughly 26' by 24' and 7' high. Thus greenhouse plastic is expensive, especially with shipping. My husband thinks we should just get clear 6mil plastic from home depot. I'm afraid that it won't last and we're wasting money. Any experience with this and where do you get your green house plastic from?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kmenchicks said:
So we are building our first hoop house. It's roughly 26' by 24' and 7' high. Thus greenhouse plastic is expensive, especially with shipping. My husband thinks we should just get clear 6mil plastic from home depot. I'm afraid that it won't last and we're wasting money. Any experience with this and where do you get your green house plastic from?
The regular plastic that you get from Home Depot is not UV protected and will break down with in a year if not less.
You would be best to get the Greenhouse plastic, it is UV protected and most will last 5 year+.

Chris

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you might want to check Johnny's seed co they have green house plastic in their catalog...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use the 6-mil construction grade plastic on my 9' by 20' tunnel, Kmenchicks. Then, I use the UV resistant 6-mil plastic on the south wall of my sunshed. The film on the tunnel is pulled off by the end of June. If I didn't do that, it would break apart and blow all over the yard by October.

I know this from having used it a few years on the sunshed/greenhouse.

The UV resistant film that is currently on the sunshed has been there about 5 years. I would have to look back at my receipts to know when I bought it from Farmtek. I think it may have been guaranteed for 3 years, or something.

There is only 1 small tear in that film after all that time and I'd hoped to have it replaced by now - bought the replacement film in 2011.. The weather has kept me from doing that. Still, it isn't really leaking air - Duck Tape, you know :p. The film isn't entirely sound, however. Shortly after it was set up, DW managed to poke some holes in it while making her wreathes in there one chilly fall day. Be advised that even tho' UV-resistant film can stand up to sunlight, it is quite soft!!

The clear tape I used to repair those holes has begun to peel off and I'm concerned that the 1 tear up high (even if it's only about 10" long) is just a harbinger of what will come this year if it isn't replaced.

I don't know your location but even if we don't get much sun here for 6 months out of the year -- the summer sun is bright and the greenhouse catches many hours of that light on a summer day. I can't imagine that it would be anywhere close to being as cost effective for me to go back to construction grade plastic for the covering. The only reason I continue to use it on the tunnel nearby is that I'd never be able to get it off undamaged from the door and window frames when that tunnel is pulled down every summer. Throwing the construction film away is bad enuf but it probably wouldn't survive next year's spring sunlight, anyway. Having it blow apart a month after I set it up would be unacceptable :/.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
kmenchicks said:
I use the 6 mil for short tunnels. It holds up fairly well unless it catches on something. I think you will be wasting your money. I have a high tunnel greenhouse. I bought it used. It is made of woven plastic. It has to be at least 12 years old by now and has many more years to go. It has just a few pinholes. If you can afford to bite the financial bullet I would go with the good stuff. If not then go with the 6 mil for now but know you will have to replace it sooner. I have never seen the 6 mil sold in such large pieces. Look for coupons for free shipping. Many places don't charge shipping over a certain amount. I like greenhouse megastore but there are many places out there.