Greenhouse, Winter Hardy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to walk all over a backyard garden bed yesterday! Wanted to leave some thing and mostly did - lost one Portuguese kale plant to a careless step. DD and her boy friend came over and mostly stayed off that bed ;). Thirty-somethings - They helped ready the greenhouse for winter by pulling the new UV-resistant plastic over it. Yay!!

It was a compromise that I was hoping not to make. Oh, climbing on the "sunshed" roof to lay that plastic over the south wall wasn't much of a compromise. The last time I was up there ~ about 5 years ago ~ not only couldn't I stand up (haven't done that for 20 years!) ~ I couldn't crawl. It was scoot, scoot, scoot to get the work done attaching the film to the top of the wall. The roof is too steep and travel on a level surface is about the best I can handle.

The compromise was -- not replacing the entire south wall because the sill boards are deteriorating. Redwood, it is just that too much moisture runs down that even-more-steep wall and keeps the sill damp. Not all of it and not the "glazing bars" that run up to the peak. But, because of the attachment to the triangular east & west walls, every dang board would have had to be pulled down - just to get at the sill. Once everything is down, might as well replace them. The redwood boards can't last forever and the greenhouse is now over 20 years old.

I used 1 5/8" screws attaching the "bar caps" (1x2's) to the glazing bars (2x4's) but 3" screws into the sill (double 2x4's). The plastic won't be going anywhere. I have galvanized brackets holding the south wall to the sill so I can't imagine it going anywhere either, over the next 4 or 5 year life of the plastic film. The greenhouse location is very protected against wind.

Steve
who enjoyed sitting out on the lawn watching young people do his work ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"Steve, who enjoyed sitting out on the lawn watching young people do his work ;) "
That's how I feel when I provide the gatarade to the guys that unload and stack my 450 bales every summer!
yeah, I COULD do it myself, but it's nice when I don't have to. :p

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you are physically unable to do something, getting someone else to do it is a no-brainer. The guilty pleasure only comes when you know you could have done it. Which begs the question, would helping even a little blow your cover? (I vote "yes") :lol:

Latest posts