Greenhouses and/or Indoor Growing Discussion

PurpleChicken

Sprout
Reaction score
Since I've already hijacked the Harry Potter closet (closet beneath the stairs)
for my bators and brooder I'd like to try and grow some plants in their too.
I've also got room in the barn which never drops below 50 degrees (propane heat).

Years back I had a Phototron to grow uhh well basil, ya basil. It was great
but I sold it after having it for only 70 days. The basil smell was way too strong.
Don't judge me I was just a young lad. ;) They are like $600 now which is a little
much to grow tomatoes in.

Thoughts about indoor growing and little mini geenhouses are welcome.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
as a greenhouse I use my old little play house that is made of plastic and is good for handleing the cold.

Blisschick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hubby bought me one of these with an extension kit. I absoluetly love it. We used a Quikcrete Walkmaker to put a floor in it. My turkey hen even used it at one point to house her poults. :rolleyes:

http://www.greenhouses.com/HomeEnthusiastGreenhouse.HTML

Louise_babies.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With the little closet under the stairs, you're likely to have problems with overheating and fire hazard if you are running enough lights to grow more than, like, one plant. Also, growing entirely under lights can really bite you in the electricity bill!

But the barn sounds promising. Can you attach a leetle lean-to type greenhouse or cold frame? As long as you can ensure enough light, if the temp doesn't go below 50F you can grow spinach and some lettuce. Other things too if it gets warmer during the day. And you can winter LOTS of good ornamental plants (and maybe get some to bloom as well, as long as there's LOTS of light). A deep gravel floor, concrete (poured or blocks) wherever you can put it, and big black-painted barrels of water will help hold heat at night and minimize overheating during the day.

You'd probably want a means of venting the lean-to greenhouse when the temps got too high... but really, just arrange it to vent INTO THE BARN and you'll save on propane :)

I suppose you COULD grow entirely under lights in the barn but then you get back to the electricity bill thing :p

Pat

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Blisschick said:
Hubby bought me one of these with an extension kit. I absoluetly love it. We used a Quikcrete Walkmaker to put a floor in it. My turkey hen even used it at one point to house her poults. :rolleyes:

http://www.greenhouses.com/HomeEnthusiastGreenhouse.HTML

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Chickenmom/Louise_babies.jpg
Stacy, That is the cutest thing I've ever seen. The momma hen and babies all around. What kind of Turkey is that?

What have you grown in your house kit? Looks great! Do you ever store plants in it during the winter?

My hubby started building me a garden shed/greenhouse, but we haven't finished it yet. I haven't used it to grow anything in yet, but store my tools in it for now.

Blisschick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We grew all sorts of stuff in it the first spring. We used it to start our veggies early, and I used it to store a bunch of my plants, mostly stuff that wouldn't survive the cold very well. I made the mistake of leaving the bottom vent open, so the cats would get inside and knock everything over. I closed it, but later on in the summer forgot to open all the vents, so cooked most of my plants when the shade cloth fell off after a storm. :( It traps heat VERY well, so I have to keep a check on it when I do have plants in it.

Soooo...now I don't have so many plants, but I do have some that I'll need to put in it pretty soon. By now, the only things I have to put in it are the plants that have survived it.

The turkey was my Bourbon red. She had 8 poults in there with her, but you can't see most, since they are under her. Sadly, she was eaten by a coon back in August. :hit

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Blisschick said:
We grew all sorts of stuff in it the first spring. We used it to start our veggies early, and I used it to store a bunch of my plants, mostly stuff that wouldn't survive the cold very well. I made the mistake of leaving the bottom vent open, so the cats would get inside and knock everything over. I closed it, but later on in the summer forgot to open all the vents, so cooked most of my plants when the shade cloth fell off after a storm. :( It traps heat VERY well, so I have to keep a check on it when I do have plants in it.

Soooo...now I don't have so many plants, but I do have some that I'll need to put in it pretty soon. By now, the only things I have to put in it are the plants that have survived it.

The turkey was my Bourbon red. She had 8 poults in there with her, but you can't see most, since they are under her. Sadly, she was eaten by a coon back in
August. :hit
That is a cool green house. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait until mine is functioning.

I bet the green house kept the babies very warm. I am so sorry about your Turkey. She was very beautiful and the babies are so cute. Did you keep any of the babies? Do you have any other turkeys?

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Because we live in a colder climate I start some of my flowers...like geraniums early March from seed and later I grow more flowers from seed...following the package directions.I have family and friends save pots and trays for me and bleach them first before using.
My Hubby made a simple plant stand for me out of 2x4"s and plywood ...two tiers maybe 3ft long and he got some old long florescent light shades from a factory that was changing their lights and we hang them on chains so we can raise and lower them....and we use normal florescent lights on a timer. The table comes apart and can be stored easily.
I didnt get a chance to grow some plants this past spring so I am looking forward to it this spring.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't really garden year round as that won't work here. However, I start seeds mid march so I can transplant late may. I stole the coffee table in the living room, turned it upside down one night, attached a flourecent tube fixture and put in a grow light. Now when march rolls around, I plug the table in and grow tomatoes!