Greenhouses and/or Indoor Growing Discussion

betejean

Sprout
Reaction score
I have created a couple of "green houses" using cattle panels. Most people refer to them as high tunnels. They are very economical to build. Right now the chickens are residing in the biggest one (they promply ate all of the plants I had in there :eek: )and our 3 guines are using the small one.

grove.in

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of getting a little greenhouse, mostly to start seeds in the spring in. Has anyone bought one of these kits ?
It seems ok to me, other then I've asked the seller a question about it , that never got answered.... And that pic..seems like that woman standing in it is very petite (to make the house look bigger) :rolleyes: Any input would be appreciated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-12-GREEN-H...3439228QQihZ018QQcategoryZ42153QQcmdZViewItem

peeps7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd like to make a green house but right now I'm just going to wait till spring to start any more building plans. I might be killed, then again I could always sneak. :D

RChicks

Sprout
Reaction score
I have created a couple of "green houses" using cattle panels. Most people refer to them as high tunnels. They are very economical to build. Right now the chickens are residing in the biggest one (they promply ate all of the plants I had in there )and our 3 guines are using the small one.
what else did you use to make these & do you have a picture?

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I use wire shelves and hijack the space near the sliding glass doors in the dining room (southern exposure). I use heat mats for my warm loving plants, basil, peppers, eggplants and have both lights and a fan on a timer for 14 hrs/day.

quadcam79

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ya wanna make stuff grow....heres what you need as far as lighting, take your pick.. 250 watt metal halide lighting, 400 watts High pressure sodium (HPS) or VHO (very high output) fluorescents

you just need the lights and a ballast and viola , instant sunlight.

same thing I use on my saltwater reef tank. I have 4, 110 watt VHOs . sometimes you can get them for a decent price on ebay or a reef tank forum. I got mine for $100 including the lamps.

MamacatPatch

Sprout
Reaction score
Blisschick, I have the exact same greenhouse! I really love it. Although I think yours might be a bigger model or something because the only vent I have is one of the panels on the roof opens. Is that what you have? And mine didn't cost $800. I got it for about $600.

I hung a florescent light panel on the ceiling for light and ran an extension cord under the greenhouse to hook up a small heater. I'm in northern Indiana so I keep it functional as long as possible into the cold months. This winter has been BRUTAL so I had to finally turn the heat off and let it be. I hope to crank it up soon though!

I have some shelving at the back end of it, but I LOVE the kind of shelving you have! Where did you get it? Definitely need rustproof open shelving. I then bought six giant plastic garbage cans, put holes in the bottom of them and some rocks and sand for drainage. Then the dirt and potting soil.

Last year, my first year, I planted tomatoes and they went nuts and grew all over the greenhouse! No more large plants in there for me. Now I'm just going to plant peppers, garlic, beets....short bushy type of plants. I put gravel and rocks on the floor because hubby didn't put down cement flooring or even wood flooring so it was just dirt/sand.

You said you have the shade tarp too? Does it help? I guess being in Texas, you'd need some kind of shade from the blazing sun, eh? Anyhow, maybe I can post a pix of mine here soon!

Sorry about your turkey. Do you still have the babies? We have nine cats and 25 chickens running around too! :D

doc_gonzo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hi all,

compact flourescents used in the aquarium trade (longer 55 or 65 watt tubes) are awsome. they use an electronic balast so the are cooler than standard flourescents and they only sip on the lectric bill. they also put out 3x the light of a standard.
hey silkie....
i'll give ya a bill for the phototron, we wanna grow some basil too:cool:

cheers

doc

ps cheapest compact site... www.ahsupply.com

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went to a hydroponics store to find some fancy lighting fixtures etc, they didn't have any here is what she told me to do:

Go to lowes or home depot and buy a couple of shop lights (I got a few for $8.53 each others were more you have to look.) She then told me to get one regular flourescent light for each and one Philips Plant and Aquarium light,
I had several regular lights but the plant light was $9.98 and I made a very nice lighting stand on an old $30.00 green house I had and had a beatiful setup.

Good luck this is fun since I want to be able to grow greens all year for me and my chickens. So the initial output is worth the end product.
Good luck

Latest posts