Greetings from the southwest!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Formerly, I was a native plant and wildflower botanist for a national botanical garden, where I worked in environmental education. I left to direct a regional river conservation and nature tourism non-profit for many years. Since leaving corporate life behind I split my time between farming (developing drought-tolerant vegetables), art (silver smithing, painting, fiber art), and music (guitar, voice). All of which makes me happy :)

For the past 14 years my husband and I have had a five acre place in a remote southwestern river canyon, semi-arid Zone 8 where three different ecosystems come together. There's no cell phone service but I do have DSL; it's a 3 hour round trip to a grocery store, 4 hours for organic so (in good years) we endeavor to produce most of our own food. We have a small zoo of pets--dogs, cats, chickens, sheep, and a donkey--about 70 animals in all--and honeybees and hummingbirds. In June we were directly hit by a tornado (I fractured my thumb and spent the rest of the summer in a cast) so we are still trying to recover from all that. Lots of repair work to be done. We've also seen our share of severe drought and floods. Never a dull moment here and a challenging environment for gardening!

Our place is very diverse for its size; there's a short grass prairie, riparian wet weather creek, small wetland, wildflower meadow, oak/juniper/mesquite savanna, a rocky desert area, cedar brake, mountain views. Around the house I have a cottage garden of all kinds of flowers. The vegetables are grown in many small fields tucked into the natural areas. Everything is connected by a series of trails.

Since 2008 I have regularly journaled under the same name about gardening on MyFolia. You can also find me on the Homegrown Goodness forum. Recently I was nominated as a possible board candidate of the Grassroots Seed Network, a newly forming non-profit.

I look forward to getting to know you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver , good to have you here!

You have a home that would be the envy of a number of gardeners here. I once had a very country home but it sure wasn't a 3 hour round trip to a grocery store. More like 1 hour and a few minutes -- Idaho is kinda narrow up here in the panhandle ;).

Anyway, welcome :frow. I look forward to learning about your gardening experiences and I'm sure others do as well.

:) Steve

Last edited:

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @digitS' I have some cousins up your way and that sure is some beautiful country. I greatly admire you hardy gardeners that can survive those kinds of winters! We mostly have two seasons: summer and January. With 270 growing days a lot can be done--however it doesn't give much rest to the weary! And it must be fun for you to be able to visit your neighboring states. For us, it's a long day's drive to visit any other state, but only an hour as the crow flies to Mexico.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm looking forward to your posts on here from your level of experience and knowledge. I think you'll find us to be a fairly small group that gets to know each other. We joke around a lot and sometimes turn to each other for emotional support but also like to grow things. Hopefully you will feel at home here.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Nyboy I suspect I do! I enjoy hearing other gardener's tales too.

@Ridgerunner I understand the importance of community. I live in a ghost town (population 41), so neighbors stick together even though we don't have much in common. But it has been my online communities that have been the most educational, fun, and supportive. In my travels I've had the pleasure of meeting many of my online friends.

@thistlebloom we love him too! He's like an extremely sociable 300 lb lap dog with separation anxiety. And a wonderful source of manure!

@Smart Red I should point out as a botanist I have killed MORE than my fair share of plants! That is to say my knowledge is mostly in the identification, uses, and folklore of native plants, particularly those of the southwest and not in the growing of things, or identification of plant disease and pests. I have learned a lot about homesteading, animal rehabilitation, and growing food in the desert through hands-on experience. But there is so much I am still learning! I learn tons of stuff from my online friends!

Latest posts