Grill that okra!

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Maybe this is common knowledge to you smart gardening folk around here, but it was new to us when we tried it! We're trying to eat healthier so frying is out of the question, so we marinated/poured-over a mixture of salt/pepper/olive oil/red wine vinegar, and grilled 'em up. Honestly, they tasted like they were breaded! Not at all slimy either. Try it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
As soon as our tiny okra grows up and give us some, I will try this, sounds great. Thanks

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My neighbor clued me in to this. He also suggested using two skewers to fix several okras together (run one skewer through the heads and one through the tails so they're all lined up... alternate the orientation of okra heads and tails so they all fit better, if desired). Did this make sense, or will I have to draw/scan/post a picture? :)

Olive oil and salt, grill till it's a bit charred. Tasty vittles. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been carefully saving my paltry okra pickin's all week for a mess to fry. It is almost time to start supper and grilling is not on the menu. :hit But you can bet yer boots that I will gather my okra for a grill-fest next week! I don't have a big garden space, so am limited to how many plants I can have, so try to get a good variety of veggies. I would love to have more room so I could grow more okra. Can't wait to try this!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'll try this too. It's looking like my okra harvest will be too skimpy to try to make pickles.

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
joz said:
My neighbor clued me in to this. He also suggested using two skewers to fix several okras together (run one skewer through the heads and one through the tails so they're all lined up... alternate the orientation of okra heads and tails so they all fit better, if desired). Did this make sense, or will I have to draw/scan/post a picture? :)

Olive oil and salt, grill till it's a bit charred. Tasty vittles. :)
Yep, we used skewers when we grilled it, although we only used one and they would spin around when I flipped them... I never thought to use two skewers - won't be making that mistake again!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had my first okra tonight. 8" plants but got enough for me. DD & DW gone. Meant to save them some but so good and so little, I ate it all. :)

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dehydrated 6 racks of okra yesterday - boy do they shrink up! I sprinkled a little sea salt on three racks and Tony's on the other three. They are quite tasty. :D

Latest posts