Ground cover weeds

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't catch where someone identified the weeds.

It is not a weed! Well, for me it is, but it is Arugala
baby_arugula_and_grasshopper.jpg

Time for salads...tons of salads! :gig

I guess there must be some other use for it! I personally think it taste poisonous (I get a faint odor and flavor of peanuts or something peanut buttery)

Ron :mow

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you: Newspaper makes great mulch and you can get lots of it free if you don't mind to do a little dumpster diving. Only use the black and white sections--none of the colored ad flyers--as there are chemicals in the shiny colored ads. The black and white newspaper uses a plant based ink and is fine.

I fill my wheelbarrow with water and soak a few chunks of newspaper at a time. You need to soak it so it doesn't blow away while you are working and also it will hug tighter to the ground. Unfold them and lay it on THICK, like a 1/2" thick and overlap them so there are no cracks for the weeds to push through.

Once you have it all down you need to cover it with an organic mulch like spent hay, leaves, grass clippings, wood chips, etc. to keep it moist and weighted down.

Newspaper will break down eventually and can be tilled into the soil when you're done with it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks! EVERYBODY was talking about doing this, but it was starting to sound like a secret--I appreciate the instructions. :hugs
No need to dumpster-dive, since we get a daily local paper, 3-5 sections in each. I also have plenty of horse stall and chicken run mulch to suffice.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Of course, if you had some chickens, I'm sure they'd happily mow the weeds down to nothing for you -- of course they may also eat some of the other plants too!

Our 4 chickens are doing a fine job in the backyard where the grass is dead (completely -- due to a recent remodel) and the weeds (and bugs) are constantly being tackled by the chickens.. Too bad I can let them loose for a few months in the front yard to tackle my Bermuda grass. ;)

Latest posts