Grow bags or pots?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found some seemingly cheap grow bags, say's they can be reused. Plastic pots will end up cracking and splitting and can be a bit harder to pop out plants.
So, which should I get? What do you use?
Anyone know the cheapest place to get 1/2 gal pots?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do believe that I know where you are coming from.

What nurseries call one gallon pots, that size that many small perennials are in, well, I don't think that's really a gallon. But you want half that size. Say, 5" wide and 5" high.

There is one way to get them free. Make them from old wood. First make you a prototype to check measurements. Next make another one to get it right. Then make a bunch of the parts as needed. The more pieces of wood the same size the easier to make a bunch of them.

If you have one of those battery powered drills, screwing them together would be best. If not, nails will do just fine. If the nails might not hold, a wrap of duct tape will.

Don't forget to make plenty of drainage holes on the bottom. Too many is better than not enough.

...my lentils are ready for lunch now...

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have any wood to use on making pots, all wood is being used to fix the barn, house addition, hutches and such. :( Scraps from those projects are too small or messed up in some way.

http://www.groworganic.com/plastic-nursery-grow-bags-1-2-gal.html
3 mil, 50 bags for $12.50.

http://www.angelsplus.com/SuppliesShipping.htm
But then fish shipping bags, they are flat and won't stand on their own, but, they are much cheaper. No issue to use an open bottom box or even tape on a group of them to hold em up. Still by far, cheaper.
I buy 7x20 4 mil 50 ct to ship fish and plants in, real nice bags. I have about 48 of those left, but wanted to buy the thinner 3 mil for the plants.
3 mil, 6x18 50 bags for $3.95.
7x20 3 mil (50 count) $4.25
8x22 3 mil (50 count) $4.95

I'm just not sure which bag would be roughly half a gallon when about 6in tall.

It's about 70F today, makes me really want to get planting! But I know it's still winter, ugh. lol

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked at your webpages. Pretty cool little farm!

If a container is about 6 inches tall, something like 6" wide makes an approximation of a half gallon. You can check by using a gallon jug of milk or water you save and pouring it in.

Another way would be to realize that a plastic gallon jug cut about half way down makes about half a gallon.

Actually, Oldguy43 is the one who is really great with "natural" mathematics. He told me how to measure the height of a tree by comparing the length of my own shadow to the length of the tree's shadow.

Remember. A 6" by 6", by 6" tall square pot HOLDS MORE than a 6" diameter circular pot that is also 6" tall.

But I'm not sure how critical all this is to you or what it is for. Maybe I missed something :p

I've found that plastic pots can last a good number of years before cracking if while not in use they are kept out of the light and not allowed to get real hot or real cold.

Those bags you are talking about, what are they made of?

Oh, even my afternoon coffee isn't kicking in right today. I need to get busy on some more chores.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are just plastic 3 mil bags. Specific type of plastic and what-not, I have no clue.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's possible to get free pots from nurseries. People return pots to them to be recycled. If they are a non standard size that doesn't fit into the trays they are discarded or taken to the plastic recycling area of the dump. They would probably be easier to find at the end of the season than in spring, but worth a try. Like Marshall said, they can hold up well for several years with a little care.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How many do you need? I'm just wondering if you needed like 50 max, maybe you could find totally freeon Craigslist or a nursery to get you through. If you may go through 100's over a period time its probably best to just by the bags to have rather then try to run around and collect enough free ones. Probably not worth the gas money at that point.

I only ever use a few dz at a time, so I just collect free one's from friends and save mine on a year to year basis. I only use the larger ones for rooted cuttings of our grape vines and hydrangea. By next year, I'm hoping to start selling some of these hydrangea cuttings that are filling out finally. :D

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know how many I'll need. Hopefully not 50, at least not this year.

I love hydrangeas! Planted a rainbow of 6 on our hill last year, but someone mowed them down and one got smooshed...I need to buy more, but they are expensive!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
secuono said:
Don't know how many I'll need. Hopefully not 50, at least not this year.

I love hydrangeas! Planted a rainbow of 6 on our hill last year, but someone mowed them down and one got smooshed...I need to buy more, but they are expensive!
I started with 2, and in the fall I bury a few branches into pots and hold them down with bricks. Then in mid-spring I cut them away from the mother plant and move the pot to the west side of the house. So I have one of the End-less Summer blue hydrangea and I have a Lavender Lace I love as well. From cuttings I have 1 more of each of those I planted in the yard that are a good size now after only 2 years. I also have 3 buckets with cuttings I already cut away. And I have 2 more I started in the fall I will cut away in a couple more months.

Do I have any room in the yard for more hydrangea? NOPE! Am I going to stop rooting them now? NOPE! Hahahaha

Talk about awesome gifts to give away.

You know, I think those bags would be AWESOME to do cuttings in. Just an idea. ;)

Latest posts