Grow Greens Indoors Under Lights

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When we purchased our shelf for setting up grow lights I failed to appreciate the importance of having enough clearance for growing tall herbs and seedlings such as peppers or tomatoes. These two Spicy Bush Basil plants outgrew my light station after just a month or so. For a long time I pruned them heavily to try to make them fit under the lights, and then I finally gave up and placed them on a table next to the shelf instead; they are flowering now, and I hope to save seed from them. For anyone setting up shelves for growing, you may wish to consider having at least one shelf with extra space. 2' might sound like a lot but it's not, because the light bars take up several inches and you have to keep the foliage of the plants from touching the lights. Add a 4" pot to the equation, and a tall shelf quickly becomes a very good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_061059022.jpg
    IMG_20231218_061059022.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the next few weeks I will be sowing seeds of several lettuce varieties that I indeed to grow out for seed. Frank Morton tries to get his lettuce starts planted out 'no later than February 20th', which he says is a lot earlier than you would think. His farm is in Oregon, in planting zone 8b. In this essay he indicates that he starts his lettuce a full month before he starts his tomatoes and peppers. https://www.wildgardenseed.com/articles/how-to-grow-yourself-some-lettuce-seed

I grow a lot of lettuce, and I never would have thought that it should be one of the first crops to get started. Our last frost is typically in the latter half of March, and young lettuce is pretty frost tolerant. Looking back over my notes, the lettuce that I planted out in early March did great-- however seedlings set out in April or May really struggled. This year we had incredible heat in May, and it was inhospitable for lettuce. So I am going to do my best to get my 3 or 4 weeks old lettuce seedlings out the door by early March this year. I may do a couple of waves of the lettuce varieties that are most important to me this year; that way some of it is likely to make it to maturity. I would like to save a lot of seed from 'Tom Thumb', for sharing; it is the most adorable little butterhead that I have ever grown, and it was incredibly heat tolerant too. Some of the summer crisp heads alluded me last season, so I will try a bunch of those again, with earlier planting dates this time around. And I would like to create a cross of red Romaine 'Pandero' and green Romaine 'Kalura'. I tried to cross them this summer but the green one flowered about two weeks after the red one-- so my timing was way off. This time I'll give the 'Kalura' a two week head start, and I may plant them out in a checkerboard pattern to maximize the likelihood of a bug crossing them for me. That would be really cool. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts