Grow Lights

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you muchly for that link! I've forwarded it to my email to peruse closer, but it already piqued my curiosity discussing lumens and Kelvin (color).

I've been using fish tank bulbs and tin foil as reflectors on a sideboard in my kitchen (my greenhouse is 95% up!) so this may help a great deal!

note that some grow lights do emit UV so you want to have protective eye wear or a barrier.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary , it all depends on what you want to grow. Before the 3 kitten "Plant killers!!" I started loads of tomatoes successfully in the basement on an old card table, a foot from an old florescent light bulb unit, with no extra heat. Some seeds even will start in the dark and grow quite a bit.
Right now I have a couple of out of control sweet potato vines growing up to and through the open weave shelving unit Past the light bulb above them and out towards the rest of the basement. They are sitting on a heat mat.
I have plain, old gro lights, NOT the LED variety. I used a nice LED last winter above my refridgerator, but the lamp burned out and I need to replace it.
Study up and find out which plants need Just light, mostly heat and which plants really want both. Otherwise, it doesn't much matter, exCEPT for the manufacturers who want to separate us from our $.