Growing a tomato plant indoors using a LED light

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Normally I don't grow tomatoes indoors, however, Ava wanted to try one. Every time she comes into the house she has to check its progress, and she has posted a few of her friends in the plant to watch over it. I am using a six band flower series LED light for the plant, and I am amazed at the growth rate. The seed was started on September 13th and already the plant has flowers opening. This a an indeterminate variety called Balcony Hybrid and will have six or seven ounce tomatoes. Now, I have to give serious thought to placing a bamboo cage around the plant.

1026.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Jackb..that tomatoe plant looks gorgeous! I like the little people watching over it. So cute. I wonder if they will taste as great as those grown in the sun? Let us know it's progress.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Wow Jackb..that tomatoe plant looks gorgeous! I like the little people watching over it. So cute. I wonder if they will taste as great as those grown in the sun? Let us know it's progress.

Mary
Mary,
They will have to taste better than the tomatoes you buy in the market during the winter. We don't even bother buying tomatoes during the winter. :rolleyes:
Jack

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That certainly looks like a successful experiment! Keep posting those pics, one of these days you are going to make me take the plunge to hydroponics!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
That certainly looks like a successful experiment! Keep posting those pics, one of these days you are going to make me take the plunge to hydroponics!
You should Lesa, it is so easy a child can do it. ;)

207.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tomato plant is so large I had to raise the light as high as it can go. I can't believe how many tomatoes this plant will produce, if, all the blossoms set. It has already set quite a few fruit, and it continues to grow and blossom. I had thought a determinate plant would produce all the tomatoes at the same time, and quit, but that does not appear to be the case with this variety.

111911.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Balcony Hybrid tomato plant continues to bloom and set fruit, however, I am removing some of the blooms to promote fruit growth. So far, so good. :)

112811.jpg

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
JackB your stuff always looks great. I am looking at a greenhouse for this year. How is your heated?