Growing anything under magnolias?

lnsoaps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a magnolia with a similiar bad disposition towards sharing with other plants. I gave up last year and decided lawn will never work, amongst other reasons the complete shade produced by the dense canopy. I mulched leaves from the fall drop, laid out some reasonable areas with the mulched leaves and let them compost all winter. Now we have volunteer local seedlings, offerings from squirrels and their burying ways, and whatnot from the fall pickup. If a plant grows AND survives, it will inform me as to what family or characteristics a plant needs to survive under the magnolia shade but at this point even ferns have only grown weakly in a pre-existing bed near the canopy and it on the sunny side of the tree.
So far my hostas are still hanging on. I'll keep a close eye on what's growing out there and see how it does. I don't have much. And I was thinking the same thing just keep mulching with the leaves that fall.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far my hostas are still hanging on. I'll keep a close eye on what's growing out there and see how it does. I don't have much. And I was thinking the same thing just keep mulching with the leaves that fall.
So far only some elephant ears (taro) are surviving, and even the natural seed and even weeds wont grow right up close to the magnolia.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You might also add a fence. I have a hybrid magnolia, "Magnolia Jane,"
I Think it is about 7 years old now, but it is a dwarf variety developed to survive a Michigan winter. I caged it in with 4 metal 12 inch tall garden fence pieces that hook together, mostly so that I would run the mower over it.
Looks kinda like this one:
Now it is about 9 foot tall, and I still have the pretty little metal fence around it, now sure when I will remove it since it hasn't outgrown it. It isn't supposed to get taller than 15 ft., and fortunatley has grown tall, and not wide, so I won't need to prune it to use my house sidewalk.
Haven't planted a darn thing underneath it, maybe some vinca in the future.
I Did prune the very bottom branches, and that was a few months ago, no bug attack.
Also haven't bother to water or fertilize it. It blooms heavy in the Spring, then blooms some off and on all summer.
DD's bought a Magnolia Betty (after my name), and I bought it it's own little metal fence. Their's is still very small.
Btw,I bought MY tree on Clearance at WM many years ago, think it cost $9
I saw the little Sweetbay Magnolia, $165.00
:th

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do not mind the small varieties. We have one that is absolutely beautiful with the light purple blooms. That big one, white blooms and all, its too big. Too much leather leaves, grenade pine cone seeds, sun stealing, chemical poison etc.

Latest posts