Growing artichokes in the north

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know artichokes are easy and even a nuisance in the south. But it is not so here in Massachusetts. Nothing is more delicious for the artichoke lover than fresh garden grown artichokes. It is not for the impatient and maybe not for the beginner. Each plant should be at least 18 inches apart. A great project for those who like a challenge. I have small plants growing in my greenhouse right now. It is really a south facing sun room. The hardest thing about growing them is seed germination. I have been soaking them to soften the seed coat the last few years, which is a good way to start. But I found an even better way where every seed germinated. This is worth the watch. The only change I made was I taped the top of the roll to keep it closed. I planted them yesterday and they are already up. Seeds choice is important. Green Globe is a good one. But there are several that can be grown as an annual in the north. Take a look at this video if interested. Still time to plant seed.
How to germinate artichoke seeds

YOUTUBE.COM
How to germinate artichoke seeds

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’ll be giving Cardoon a try this year after little success with full blown Artichokes; my daughter however, has grown them to fruition just a few miles from our location.
her’s were bought as starts at a local,greenhouse.

interesting video, thanks for sharing!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We’ll be giving Cardoon a try this year after little success with full blown Artichokes; my daughter however, has grown them to fruition just a few miles from our location.

They need to be vernalize to fruit the first year. But I am guessing that you overwinter in your greenhouse.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just planted Tavor and Colorado Star. It is recommended that they be started inside 2 months before planting time for annual production in the north.

I put the seeds in a planting mix. Kept the containers moist and set the tray on the back of my pellet stove. I had 75% germination of year old seeds at 5 days after planting the seeds.

I got a late start last year and started the seeds just one month before putting them out. The first plant that germinated was the only plant that produced artichokes.

I don't know how cold hardy the seedlings are but the mature plants withstood 10°F temperatures in the fall without any problems.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cardoon, same family, similar flavor and much hardier. Think celery on steroids; 2-4 ft tall. Blanched much like celery too.

We prefer the strong flavor of celery and dont fool with the blanching,
probably go the same way with the cardoon.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just planted Tavor and Colorado Star. It is recommended that they be started inside 2 months before planting time for annual production in the north.

I put the seeds in a planting mix. Kept the containers moist and set the tray on the back of my pellet stove. I had 75% germination of year old seeds at 5 days after planting the seeds.

I got a late start last year and started the seeds just one month before putting them out. The first plant that germinated was the only plant that produced artichokes.

I don't know how cold hardy the seedlings are but the mature plants withstood 10°F temperatures in the fall without any problems.
There are varieties rated for zone 6 for overwintering . I am a zone 7 and have never had a one overwinter, Even when I tried to protect them. So I grow anew every year. My starts are taking off.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Cardoon! I haven't grow that one in a while, but it sure is a gorgeous plant. Just majestic, silvery leaves and all. I never ate mine, they didn't get big enough for that anyway, it was just for their looks. If I had more room I'd love to grow cardoon again. Makes a great potted specimen.

Latest posts