Growing Asparagus

Ga Chicken Mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Anyone have tips on growing asparagus? This will be my first attempt. The instructions on the bag I got at TSC said to plant the roots in a trench. I always thought asparagus was planted in mounds. Suggestions on soil? We have red GA clay which we always supplement when planting anything to make the soil less dense. I know we can't harvest this year and only a small amount next summer but I'd like to start the patch off right. How much sun do the plants need?

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't yet grown asparagus (perhaps this year!) but I did grow up right next to an asparagus farm. The crowns are planted in the trench, then the soil is slowly filled in over time as the asparagus grows. If you've grown leeks, it's a similar process.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grow asparagus. Follow the planting instructions. To keep the bed weed free, I till it in the fall-just the top 1 or 2 inches. Then in the spring I add a 10-10-10 fertilizer and then cover in salt to keep the weeds down. I know the new rules say no salt but, I had tried preen and while I like it in the reg. garden I didn't like it in the asparagus bed. So I went with the old school of using salt. It works well. Just cover the bed so it's good and white.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am in MS zone 8 (b, i think)

Is it too late to plant asparagus? I read online that warmer climates could plant in late winter (which I guess means mid-march)

Cassandra

Ga Chicken Mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - a trench it is for the asparagus. Never thought about weed growth, I won't plant more than 10 ft so hope I can hand weed.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had wild asparagus on our property in upstate Idaho when I was little. It always grew in trenches where there was a lot of water. I can't imagine it liking the heat if it's growing rampid up there.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I read somewhere else (hgtv, I think) that warm states should plant it in the fall. I think that is a better idea for me anyway. Gives me several months to prepare a bed for it.

Cassandra

Ga Chicken Mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
TS had asparagus for sale this week so I thought spring would be a good time to plant. Well, I bought the bag so into a trench the asparagus will go.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK here you go

dig a trench that is 6-9 inches deep and about a foot wide.

Spread out the roots in the plant in the bottom of the trench and keep the plants about a foot apart

cover the plant with about 2 inches on dirt and water lightly.

as the plant grows up through the dirt keep covering in until you have a mound that is about 4 inches high. water everytime you cover. This will give you a good strong root system for your plant.

Do not pick in the first year and do not pick more that about 25% during the second. after the third year stop picking when the temp gets and stay (night too) above about 75-80 degrees.

Once it grows out and produces little "berries" stick those in the dirt between your existing plants as this will help fill in your bed.

I just picked the first of our season aspragus yesterday!

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Will asparagus tolerate shade in 7b? I have the perfect trench already existing but it gets sun only a fraction of the day.

Latest posts