Growing avocados

Sydney

Sprout
Reaction score
I have 4 sprouted avocado pits which came from avocados I bought at the grocery store. From what I've read the avocado pits in a grocery store avocado will grow into a tree but never produce fruit. Is this correct?
If so, I was wondering if a bought an avocado tree from a nursery and grafted branches of it onto the non producing avocado trees (grocery store avocados), would I be able to get them to produce fruit?

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It should produce, it just may not be the kind you thought it would be.

I have one right now from a pit I bought in Vermont. My husband and I call it Burl since we got it in Burlington. The tree is over 2" now. It's ready to be planted in the ground but I have to mae a gopher cage, first to protect our 'love' child.

This avo was supposed to by less fat and 'healthier' than regular avocados. The pit was enormous (about the size of a small peach)...I think just the size of the pit relative to the small amount of fruit left to eat is why it was 'less fat'.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, I'm trying this out for the first time ever and the pit has just begun to split at the bottom for the root to come out.

When I'm ready to pot it, what kind of soil (is plain potting soil ok?), how much gravel in the bottom for drainage, do I put a stake in right away? I obviously have no idea!

It'll be an almost 100% indoor plant due to living in MN...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I went with my parents to visit my Dad's cousin in the Rio Grande Valley. (that's on the Texas/Mexico border) My Dad's cousin had a 2 story house and an avacado tree that peeked over the roof top on the south side of his home. It was loaded and I got to pick all I wanted. I have never forgot that tree and the yummy fresh avacados that came from it. Good luck to you with your tree!!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know how well an avocado would do indoors. They are big trees, probably 20 feet tall with a 20 foot span. I would love to have one, bt here in central Tx it wouldn't survive the winters.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom had a seed started avocado tree indoors for over a decade. They don't grow very fast when confined to a pot.
She finally planted it outdoors ( coastal northern CA ) and it's now about 10 feet tall. It blooms, but will never fruit obviously.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why will it never fruit?
thistlebloom said:
My mom had a seed started avocado tree indoors for over a decade. They don't grow very fast when confined to a pot.
She finally planted it outdoors ( coastal northern CA ) and it's now about 10 feet tall. It blooms, but will never fruit obviously.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Why will it never fruit?
thistlebloom said:
Most avocados require cross pollination, although there are some self fertile ones, but it's not very likely that there would be another growing in the neighborhood. My moms tree is kind of a freak, and survives in a little microclimate, semi protected by two houses and a large spruce tree. Although it has bloomed, there is enough frosts and freezing to kill the blooms before they could develop, even supposing her tree was self fertile.

Latest posts