Growing Blind

Spazziazz

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey guys 🙂
Name is Azz (Azra)
I come to you from Australia, Kelso, Townsville up the far north Queensland coast.

I'm joining as I am so puzzled by my marvellous MARIGOLDS I've grown by seed and purchased at Bunnings...

Here is a pic.

Can anyone tell me how this happens and is this a special type!!!

I would love to think that I have the magic touch but I am entering into gardening pretty much blind and a beginner.

So far So good.. need to share this as what a waste of work and no one to see.. 🌈🌈🌈

Happy gardening xxoo

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1582103648.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1582103648.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 158

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
haha, welcome! there's nothing wrong with diversity. i'm not sure if you are speaking of plants you grew from seed or potted plants that you bought at the nursery?

the plant that hasn't flowered yet may flower later on giving you a longer season of blooms. :)

anyways, if you want to enforce a certain size or shape upon your future plantings you can always only harvest seeds from the plants you like the most and that will influence the future for your population (this is called applying a selection pressure :) ).

i did that for a number of years after starting with a single package of cosmo seeds. i would pick only seeds from certain flowers and see what would happen when i planted those seeds in a specific patch and yes it did gradually shift those patches towards what i was after. :) a bit of fun. then i mixed them all back together again and bought some other seeds to add to the mix to encourage diversity. now i just pick whatever seeds come along and i give them away to people who want them along with keep planting my own patches again. they're very bee friendly plants and very easy to grow.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas. There are varieties of marigolds that make big plants. But I am sure that yours are because you are a budding GARDEN GENIUS!! We love pictures, so feel free to post all you want to. Growing is so much fun and rewarding with beautiful flowers to enjoy and delicious vegetables. Jump in!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I swore I responded, going nuts from lock down. Welcome. You live in land I always wanted to visit but probably won’t. So that means, it’s imperative that you post pix...

Probably an off type. If you like it, keep seeds. Environmental factors also play a part, bugs could have gotten it and so it’s bushy instead of tall. Tall ones might have better soil, came up first, lot of reasons.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Louisiana. Those sure look like Marigolds. At first I thought they might have been something else.

I looked at the marigold seeds Bunnings, they don't show anything that size. Are those supposed to be African Orange? You might send Bunnings a photo and ask them what happened. They may even give yo a store credit.

Latest posts