growing broccoli

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my first year growing it and I am not real sure about it. I have 100 plants to put in the ground. Do they require a whole lot of water and would it be a good idea to mulch straw around them? Also I was putting them in a area that get sun until till about 2:00. Does this sound OK?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
100 plants!!??

I probably should just say "yes to all," T&T, but I can't remember using mulch around broccoli. Probably did at least once and because of water needs, it's probably a good idea.

What I found helpful is to pull soil around their roots with an addition of fertilizer after they've made a good start in the garden. That can really give them a growing spurt making for larger plants before they begin to make heads.

Some people plant broccoli in their corn so that there's some shade and they can get a longer season of harvest. What I've noticed is that out in my full-sun garden, life gets a little difficult for the broccoli by late July.

Steve

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about corn, Steve!

I think I read that 20 broccoli plants is sufficient to feed a family of 4(?). If you have more, just make sure you have the space to devote to them in the garden (recommended spacing is about 1.5')

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broccoli is pretty easy to grow. Delicious too ! The only down-side is they seem to always get those green worms on them. Even if you don`t see them when you cook it they float to the top. Some people just skim them off. 100 plants seem like alot unless you plan tp freeze...and eat alot!!:dance

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm planting my broccoli next to dill and nasturtiums. Supposedly they help repel those cabbage worms, of which you speak, sparks.

Picking the cabbage worms off and giving them to the chickens is labor intensive, but every little bit helps.

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. The reason I planted extra is because We do have a huge garden and I could sell the extras quite easy.

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If one was going to grow brocolli in the square foot method. How many plants to a foot? I bought some and there are nine of the darn things in the container. And I do not want to give up 18 of the squares to Brocolli. :eek:

Laughing I guess I need to build another box. I found more berries today and they are taking up any extra space.

Anyone ever plant a thronless blackberry? I sure wish I could find one.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can always grow them closer, but they won't be as healthy or prolific . . . I would wager a guess that planting them a foot apart would be more than adequate. You could probably even try 6", but I wouldn't try any closer than that.

If you want to grow all nine, plant some of the broccoli independently in flower pots.

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Weeds shouldn't be much of a problem with mature plants. Mine did a decent job of blocking out the sun, so minimal weeding was necessary. As far as the water demands, that can be found here:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22957

Broccoli is one of my more challenging plants due to uninvited munchers. :barnie: There are so many vegetables in the same family that are among my favorites for the dinner table, but they are susceptible to the same invaders. Improving soil seems to have helped since I actually was able to harvest broccoli last year and every year prior I was left with bare stalks. Attempts to manage pests were limited to bt, but that $@#$% made me sick to my stomach when applying it. :th

The best production from our plants was VERY late in the season. I was eating off of them in early November without doing anything special. Then, we put up storm windows over the plants (I have freakishly large storm windows just laying around - 4.5' x 4.5') in a makeshift A-frame greenhouse and kept on harvesting... LONG AFTER THE PESTS HAVE CALLED IT QUITS! :weee

Some of it made it through the winter this way.

Latest posts