Growing Carrots

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I sometimes have trouble with slugs (I guess) eating around the tops of them. The greens aren't eaten, which is why I think it's not a rodent. But I just cut that part off anyway, and I'm good. You definitely need a raised bed to grow them well. I tried them just in the ground & never got good results.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We got big tubs from my neighbor. He raises cows, and some kind of cattle supplement comes in them. We cut the bottoms off to get better drainage, and they worked wonderfully. They're about 12" deep, and we grew sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots in them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a bunch of plastic pots that large geraniums came in that I saved, as well as pots from trees I've bought, so I have enough. I kinda cringed when you said that you cut the bottoms out of the feeding buckets, 'cause I use those for my horses and chickens! I've gotten horse supplement in those things, too. They get nutrition out of molasses, so the supplement is laced with it. Probably licked clean, however, before they gave them to you. Great recycling, though.
It will seem strange to pot vegetables. I have a lot of land to grow on, but, I'm tired of planting carrots and only getting two meals out of them. :rant Thanks for the feedback.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Speaking of carrotsOk, I hope no one slaps me silly for this. This is my first year gardening. I have always wanted to grow my own food. However, I have always had a brown thumb and no opportunity to spend time in the garden.

This year I got serious and I have always like the idea of raised beds in the garden. So, I did my homework and I bought a book called: ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING by Mel Bartholomew.

I am not promoting this book however it has worked for me. So you be the judge. Here are two photos about one month a part. I was amazed at the growth of my plants and nothing died.

6479_dscn1238.jpg

6479_dscn1262a.jpg

Although I have to confess.it seemed that one day after taking the last photo.I GOT EVERY KNOWN BUG AND PLANT DISEASE KNOWN TO MANKIND. :barnie Yet, I was still able to harvest, enjoy, and share my small bounty with my friends. :ya

I have learned a lot and I will be creating more raised beds in the next month or two. My next two beds will be 12 inches deep and one will be planted with some carrots. This way of gardening suits me to a T. :throw

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Your pictures (and harvest) are quite a testimonial for that book. I'm happy to be wrong about my gardening practices and replace them with methods THAT WORK!!
My goodness! No one is wrong here. There are just different ways to do things. :frow

I used to raise canaries and rare finches. I had many experts .real world-renowned experts tell me how to raise my birds. I learned that there are thousands of ways to do the same thing and do them successfully.

Diversity is a gift. You take what you need and you use what works for you. That is how the world has evolved. :thumbsup

Latest posts