Growing Ginseng

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm trying to find info on growing wild ginseng. Either the search function isn't showing any posts so I thought I'd start one.

Does anybody have any experience with ginseng?

Thanks!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My FIL would replant some of the tubers he had harvested wild onto his own property. You can also save the berries and plant them. Try to match up with the original growing conditions. They are really sensitive to pH, amount of sunlight, neighboring plants and things like that.

In some states this is illegal, so you might want to check the laws. You'll want to keep it hush anyways, because some punk will come dig up your sang when you're not looking and sell it out from under you. :p

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Journey! The more I look at pictures of it...I swear I've seen some in my woods....I'll have to hike out and look later. I'm hoping to find some wild because the 4-7 year wait is soooo long! From what I can find online planting in the woods is my best bet. It seems to be a 'plant it and forget it' crop. I just hope my chickens don't try to eat it! Chickens on ginseng would be BAD! :weee

Luckily we live in farm country, so nobody really messes with anything 'crop' wise around here. Although....since you mention it I will probably stick the trail cam in that area once I plant. Just in case! ;)

Latest posts