growing herbs in window boxes?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Im gonna make window boxes this year. I would like a mint box, tea garden box, medicinal box and kitchen herb box. I have more windows then that as well. I've never grown herbs before. The windows are on all sides of the house. What side of the house should each garden be on? What types of herbs should i have in each garden? Im going to overwinter the herbs in the house. Im starting them by seed and buying some started. Never done this all advice welcome.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Generally, all those boxes will be happiest on the sunniest sides of the house. Herbs like a lot of sun.

Not a whole lot likes northern windows, I'm afraid. I have an aloe plant that is sort of straggling along in one, but mainly I keep African violets and shade-loving orchids on the north side of the house.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Is there a list of basic herbs for each of these mini gardens anywhere? I'm getting confused with all the choices. Im wondering if i should buy started plants this year.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, jeez. What kind do you like? Just put in whatever you think you will use. Only rule is to keep the mints separate, as they will happily take over anything they are planted in. Other than that, it's whatever looks/smells/sounds cool in the catalog or garden center. Herbs are easy, don't take much fussing.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi ninny!

This UK herb farm is wonderful for information & I buy a lot of my herbs from here. This is just the culinary herbs but you can access info on all the others on here too. If you press 'More info' you will find out about whether it needs full sunshine & if it is hardy or not.

http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/list.asp?ptitle=Culinary&Uses=Culinary

Personally I would group the herbs by how much water they require & the soil mixture they grow best in.

Happy New Year & good luck with your project. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow :frow

Hi ninny!

This UK herb farm is wonderful for information & I buy a lot of my herbs from here. This is just the culinary herbs but you can access info on all the others on here too. If you press 'More info' you will find out about whether it needs full sunshine & if it is hardy or not.

http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/list.asp?ptitle=Culinary&Uses=Culinary

Personally I would group the herbs by how much water they require & the soil mixture they grow best in.

Happy New Year & good luck with your project. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose
Thanks!

houndit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just don't plant fennel and dill any place near each other or they will cross pollinate.

Latest posts