Growing potatoes in straw or hay instead of planting

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so just butting in because it the same but different ...

what if I do a vertical cylindrical cage

straw compost bed potatoes
top with straw compost

(I think it will end up six feet high?

will my potatoes grow out of the cage like they are supposed to you think?

supposidly I should not have to do anything but dump them out whent they are done!

quick tell me please because I want to start this one as soon as I can

I just did not want my bottom potatoes to rot ? it seems like they could?

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
HiDelight, it sounds like you have a good idea. It is worth giving it a try. I get the impression that you are going to plant all of them at the same time. You might want to wait until they sprout and train them to the outside of the cage. You were also worried about rot on the bottom, I think your biggest problem will be keeping them moist enough. Keep us posted on the outcome.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know people that have had success doing it with straw right from the beginning.
I started with the soil last year and ended up switching to straw when the plants started to get so high, it does get wet and smellly though, especially last year with all the rain.

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chrissum said:
Jamespm and LVVCHAP: Thanks for the info, nice looking gardens both! You've both given me good info and I appreciate the pictures, that helps a lot! I am curious, is there any chance of rot with them grown this way? Thanks again! chrissum....
No issues with rot from mine yet. You should get good drainage with this method since the potatoes are actually above the ground or in shallow soil since they are growing in the mulch.

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
jamespm_98 said:
chrissum said:
Jamespm and LVVCHAP: Thanks for the info, nice looking gardens both! You've both given me good info and I appreciate the pictures, that helps a lot! I am curious, is there any chance of rot with them grown this way? Thanks again! chrissum....
No issues with rot from mine yet. You should get good drainage with this method since the potatoes are actually above the ground or in shallow soil since they are growing in the mulch.
that makes sense! You guys, or gals have beautiful gardens, I cant wait to start this project! Potatoes are one of the top 3 veggies my family eats and I would like to grow them as well!

phore

Sprout
Reaction score
wondering if sweet potatoes could be grown in a cage with straw and compost?

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Good idea! I've got heaps of wasted rotten hay that was either ruined by the recent rainstorms or the goats just trampled and would not eat...I've been trying to figure out what to do with it all, but I guess I can grow potatoes!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I can't say from experience about growing sweet potatoes in straw BUT, in our little snobby community--which acts like a city suburb, sometimes, they sell something that they call a "sweet potato vine". You're supposed to plant it as an annual against something it can climb to look...pretty. My friends did this last year and at the end of the season they dug it up and found...yep--sweet potatoes. They did NOTHING special, although they have in the past at other properties done heavy duty gardening. They have GOT to be easy to grow.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've bought the decorative 'sweet potato vine' for putting in flower planters as well. They come in either a purple color or lime green, and are very attractive. I am pretty sure they are just regular sweet potatoes, as the last bunch of sweet potatoes I got at the store and planted were purple vines also. Very pretty plants, and useful too!

Latest posts