growing potatoes

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to try to grow potatoes in my "lights only" greenhouse. Help. I tried last year, the plant grew great above ground, nothing below, what am I doing wrong? I planted in a trash barrel.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you kind of describe what you did? Type or variety of potato? I'm assuming regular potatoes, not sweet potatoes? You obviously got to to grow. What medium was it planted in, dirt, straw, or something else? Any idea on pH? Did you bury the seed potato a few inches deep? Did you use seed instead of a seed potato? How was the drainage in the trash barrel, too wet or too dry? How long was the growing season? How hot? Did you let the plant die of old age? How big was the plant? Was it bright green or kind of yellow? Did you see any tiny "marble-sized" potatoes or were they slick bare when you dug them?

My biggest problems with growing anything in a container is getting the moisture right, either they stay too wet or they dry out. Sounds like you managed that and other things OK since you said they grew great above ground. Potatoes are a cool weather crop, I'd think if they got too hot they'd turn brown and die. Potatoes form on the stem above the seed potato so they need to be buried a few inches at least. They will do a lot of growing before they start to set potatoes. After the potatoes mature the vines die back, that's how I know to dig them. I'm really at a loss, My main thought is did they have a long enough growing season.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
By "lights only" ...

. do you mean unheated or that you are growing plants under lights without any/very much sunlight? I'm sorry if you have described the conditions in another thread and I've forgotten, Beeper.

Having success with potatoes growing in very much heat sure doesn't seem very likely to me. You are a long way south.

Steve

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My greenhouse is a in a building that we made into a greenhouse. With grow lights hanging above, a heater and air cooler, no sunlight, just grow lights. I planted many different potatoes from real potatoes that I got on line, not regular ones from the store. Planted in soil in trash cans, with drainage holes on the bottom.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just some ideas:

Texas A & M says, "For best production, potatoes need full sun. They do best in a loose, well drained, slightly acid soil. Poorly drained soils often cause poor stands and low yields."

Indoor lights may not provide sufficient light and containers may not have adequate drainage.

Potatoes: Production, Marketing, And Programs For Developing Countries (in google books) has information for growing potatoes in tropical countries and says "As a rule, tubers will not begin to form if nighttime temperatures remain above 20 degrees C." 20℃ = 68℉.

Steve

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just some ideas:

Texas A & M says, "For best production, potatoes need full sun. They do best in a loose, well drained, slightly acid soil. Poorly drained soils often cause poor stands and low yields."

Indoor lights may not provide sufficient light and containers may not have adequate drainage.

Potatoes: Production, Marketing, And Programs For Developing Countries (in google books) has information for growing potatoes in tropical countries and says "As a rule, tubers will not begin to form if nighttime temperatures remain above 20 degrees C." 20℃ = 68℉.

Steve
Thanks.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have grown sprouted potatoes from my potato bin successfully in a container that is in the basement on the very old (original) kitchen counter with the south facing window. Here's the deal, you will probably only get Small potatoes. But, considering that stores now sell those as "fancy" you can still harvest and enjoy them. I agree, leave some room at the top of the pot for extra cover and don't plant too deep.