Growing Tomato, Squash, and Cukes this year Vertically! Need ADVICE!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
aussieheelr said:
do the pie pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash and cantalope need extra suport under the fruit or can the vine hold them?
Yep... when they are just right, without support they'll just give from the vine. You may wake up to harvest and have smashed melons and squash on the ground?!

Though there are some smaller one's that will hold up ok... I wouldn't chance it. Tie them up by using women's knee highs!!! :)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My cucumbers didn't last year. I made a teepee out of 2 wooden "door grids" and they climbed up the sides and the cucumbers hung down in the middle. My Collective Farm Woman melon climbed a baby gate and didn't need support either, but they only get to the size of a baseball. Larger melons and squash might need support.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
aussieheelr said:
do the pie pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash and cantalope need extra suport under the fruit or can the vine hold them?
Yep... when they are just right, without support they'll just give from the vine. You may wake up to harvest and have smashed melons and squash on the ground?!

Though there are some smaller one's that will hold up ok... I wouldn't chance it. Tie them up by using women's knee highs!!! :)
Now that's a very creative use of knee highs :) I like it!! I have some vine peach that I think will be ok, but I'll definatly stock up on some knee highs for the squashes and regular cantalope. Thanks :happy_flower

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can see my cucumber arch in the back right:

7835_100_8097.jpg
[/img]

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That arch is wonderful!!!! Was it hard to pick the cukes? That could be used as the "entrance" to the garden- just lovely! My growing season isn't long enough to get that much vining, or I would be so doing that!

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
That arch is wonderful!!!! Was it hard to pick the cukes? That could be used as the "entrance" to the garden- just lovely! My growing season isn't long enough to get that much vining, or I would be so doing that!
Them hanging there makes it super easy to pick:

7835_100_8103.jpg

You can see more pic at my blog:
http://themtrahans.com/wordpress/?p=773

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is how I was imagining they might grow! Very cool. Checked out your blog- what a great, beautiful garden!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Luv the arch! How many plants are in there and what is the arch made of? I cukes get into gigantic monsters.

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
made from hog panel, usually about 6 or 8 plants per side. My dad does the same thing with his beans. He has one panel for beans and one for cukes.

I am totally renovating my garden this year. Raised beds and string trellis for everything, new fencing, etc... hopefully. Anyone know of a good how to on making string trellis?

7835_image_4_2.jpeg

and a new arch way for the entrance that i started working on...
7835_arch.jpg

Latest posts