Grubby little black bugs

Reaction score
I get the same nasty little bugger in my garden every year--they are very tiny, and look like pepper or black dirt. They particularly go for bean plants. When you're handling the plant, or picking the beans, you get purple squished bug juice all over your hands.

I frequently blast them off with the hose, but they're right back again. They don't seem to damage the plant much. They're just nasty.

I've also used a ton on insecticidal soap. Any other ideas, and what ARE they?

thanks

Reaction score
I don't know what flea beetles look like, but I'll research.
These things are smaller than fleas though. And we rarely get fleas here because it's so hot/dry in the summer (nearly desert like).
We're in eastern Calif., up in the mountains.

Reaction score
Have looked at more bug photos in the last 24 hours than I thought possible!

I think these are some type of black aphids. That would also explain why I'm seeing alot more ants. The only recommendation I'm seeing is to blast them with water, which I've been doing. Probably not getting up under the leaves very well though--we're talking 4 long rows of beans now!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've had black aphids too! Some people buy lady bugs to eat aphids. It doesn't make sense to buy lady bugs unless you have enough aphids for them to eat. Sounds like you might have plenty.

Latest posts