Habanero pepper question

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year was the first time I'd grown any and planted half dozen of them, not knowing what to expect. Can you all tell me what the typical harvest numbers look like per plant? How big a plant usually gets? How thick or thin walled the fruit should be?

I've seen various plants and pepper harvest for this variety on YT and some were regular sized with a small harvest and one was huge with a big harvest. Mine are beyond huge...one plant will fill a 4 x 4 ft space(when lifted up they are around 3 ft tall or better) and they've all fallen over due to the weight of the fruit...and I'm talking easily a hundred peppers per plant. Not sure if that's typical???

If so, and if I plan to grow them again next year, I'll definitely have to do some spacing and staking prior to them getting this big...may even have to trellis them. Didn't know habaneros grew like that...though it could just be a good pepper year? My banana peppers are also above 3 ft tall, massively huge amounts of foliage and bloom(3 sq. ft. of space each...or more) and are trying to produce a bumper crop now, when it's almost too late~thus far I've gotten some but not as many as expected, then boom...peppers everywhere but I doubt they'll get as big as those harvested earlier. I've staked many of them but they are too brittle to try and pick up, especially with all the weight of the peppers on them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year was the first time I'd grown any and planted half dozen of them, not knowing what to expect. Can you all tell me what the typical harvest numbers look like per plant? How big a plant usually gets? How thick or thin walled the fruit should be?

I've seen various plants and pepper harvest for this variety on YT and some were regular sized with a small harvest and one was huge with a big harvest. Mine are beyond huge...one plant will fill a 4 x 4 ft space(when lifted up they are around 3 ft tall or better) and they've all fallen over due to the weight of the fruit...and I'm talking easily a hundred peppers per plant. Not sure if that's typical???

If so, and if I plan to grow them again next year, I'll definitely have to do some spacing and staking prior to them getting this big...may even have to trellis them. Didn't know habaneros grew like that...though it could just be a good pepper year? My banana peppers are also above 3 ft tall, massively huge amounts of foliage and bloom(3 sq. ft. of space each...or more) and are trying to produce a bumper crop now, when it's almost too late~thus far I've gotten some but not as many as expected, then boom...peppers everywhere but I doubt they'll get as big as those harvested earlier. I've staked many of them but they are too brittle to try and pick up, especially with all the weight of the peppers on them.
I had some extra tomato cages that were too puny for tomatoes. They were great for my peppers. They sure over produced when kept from falling over and snapping. Peppers love hot weather and I know we had that this year.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, it could be due to all those years of you adding wood chips to the soil. I've never grown a habanero so I can't help you. They are just to hot for me.

But I do have a Rocoto pepper, which is a Peruvian pepper that borders the habanero in hotness. That plant is hugh like yours. It also produces tons of peppers. I really want to get rid of it but my son likes it so I took it out of the ground and put in a big pot. That plant didn't even skip a beat. It never goes dormant but produces peppers year round. Too much for me.

Wish the rest of our stuff grew like that. :\

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, me too.

Miss Mary, most of the habaneros were planted directly into rotten hay bales, so didn't actually touch any of the soils created by the wood chips. Same with most of the banana peppers.

Latest posts