Handicapped/Disabled Gardening.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got my own garden space here at home now, so Im not going to be growing one in the same space I did last year. My grandma is hoping to though, and I want to clean it up for her and make it more accessible to her. She has neuropathy, so she has to walk with a cane most of the time. Since she doesnt need a ton of produce, I would like to make the rows wide enough that she can get her walker through them. she doesnt walk with it, but I would like her to have it for added support when she's bending down to pick something. I would love to do raised beds, but its not in the budget ATM, and my cousins do live with her so they can help some. I just want to set it up so she's able to get in there when she wants to. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them. She has to sit down often, so I plan on placing benches/chairs around so she doesnt have to move far to rest. There is a lot of scrap wood out there, so if you have any ideas at all, I'd love to hear. I've never done this before, but anything to help my grandma. We've grown a garden every year together for my 18 years, I want to continue doing that. :D

*PS, I pretty much hope to grow peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and beans, and maybe corn. Thanks!*

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The first thing to come to mind is to plant pole beans and keep the cukes on a trellis so she won't have to bend over to pick them.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anything you can do to bring the plants up to meet her. Trellises, containers, straw bale gardens. And you are right, wide paths are great.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Some high growning veggies will help her from bending over. Pole beans, trellis climing items. Keep the rows thin, like 18"-2' wide and long. Maybe set up some seating occasionally for her to just sit and enjoy it. Also, mulch as much as possible so she doesn't find herself weeding. :)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Part of my reason for planting corn was to plant beans on the stalks. We did that last year and it worked perfectly. The beans on the corn actually did better, the ones by themselves were destroyed by aphids. There is also a trellis with a row on each side out there that would work for the cukes. Great ideas folks, thank you.

vfem- Thank you for the tip about making the rows shorter, I cant believe that didnt cross my mind. They are pretty long, I think 20 feet each. But that is easy to correct, I already know how I can do that. I may have to build her a few more benches, but that's no problem. As for mulching, we cant really do that out there because every two weeks we irrigate. It washes away anything that isnt heavy or stuck in the ground. I'll visit periodically, probably once or twice a week, so I can weed while Im there. And my cousins are always there to help as well. With her arthritis, it makes it hard for her to weed anyways, so I'll keep up on that.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all of your help. Any more info would be greatly appreciated as well. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, OEGBman!

I walk with a cane much of the time. In the garden, I use either a hoe or a cultivator. (Figure I look "wise" out there, leaning on one. ;)) And, there's always a chance to actually put one of these things to work no matter where I'm standing. Never can tell.

The ideas about trellises are good ones, as long as you aren't making Grandma build 'em :rolleyes:. Nah, I know you won't.

Something else I make good use of is a 5 gallon bucket. Oh yeah, I sometimes make the mistake of filling it with something and then I need to carry it. But usually, I can be found sitting on an upturned bucket. They are pretty darn comfortable but your grandmother may choose a 3 gallon rather than a 5.

And, a place to sit is usually what I'm looking for even before I get into the garden. I like to have a shady spot where I can look out on my handiwork and plan the next "campaign" before actually shuffling out there under the sun. A cooler with ice tea also fits right in there :cool:.

Steve

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve. Im glad to get input from someone who also walks with a cane. My grandma uses the hoe for support a lot too, it does make her look wise, haha!

LOL, grandma would probably do a better job at building them than me honestly! But no... I'll make my dad build em. :lol:

I like the bucket idea too, but I dont know if she'd be able to get back up. I think she does have a portable stool though, hmm. I'll have to ask her about that! We've got big butts in this family, she'd need a 5 gallon. :gig

We always keep chairs under the plum trees out in the garden, its our favorite spot to sit and watch whatever is growing. She cant be in the sun for a long period of time, so its nice to have the trees out there. Thanks again, Steve. I really appreciate it.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OEGB....

Your an awesome grandson.... and I for one, want to thank you for being so kind and understanding towards your grandmother...

It gives me hope for the future..when I see young men, like yourself, take care of their elders....

Well Done... You made me a proud gardener today!

Athena

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, Athena. That means a lot to me, really. My grandma is my best friend, and we're really close, so this is just one more thing we can do together. I really really appreciate your comments though.

I discovered she's got 8 or so bales of straw in her garden doing nothing, so we might try the straw bale gardening deal if I can find some info on it. Thanks everyone!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I myself am disabled with rheumatoid arthritis, which has necessitated changes in my gardening style. I use a long shower bench in my garden, stradling the raised beds, which allows me to be right in with the plants. I had my son adjust the legs up so that the bench is comfortably taller for me. It also has a good hand grip on the side if I need it> I trellis my cucs. I use a soaker hose watering system and had my son raise the faucet to 4ft off the ground so I don't have to bend over. I can sit on my shower bench and use my long handled garden tools (actually kids gardening tools) to hoe and cultivate. My grown children help me with planting, harvesting and canning the produce when I need them to. My grandson (will be 3 next month) helped me plant and pick some last summer too and is looking forward to helping grandmama again this coming spring. In fact, we've already got our cucs, okra and some other plants growing in the window.