Handmade Orchard Mason Bee House - Made From Reclaimed Untreated Wood

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you guys, he's still making them.

I really like these because we already have the mason bees wild out in the yard, we just give them a home and they move in.

We're going to get honey bees, but that's a whole new bag of worms so to speak! :lol:

If you are interested, might make a good christmas gift for your 'other half'.

They are available for immediate purchase in my husband's online garden shop.

http://HandyHubby.Etsy.com

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can purchased mason bee cylinders fit into your houses?

I don't know if we have mason bees around here naturally.

I was thinking of trying some and placing the box inside the sunroom and having their entrance to the outside so they wont freeze... we get to 20 below here often in the winter.

What is inside your box? Is it just an empty square with holes drilled in the side? The masons our neighbor has, they all live in tubes... and when they came out this spring they seemed find but then we had another hard freeze they lost half of them.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Paper tubes work but you have to renew them every season and the bees seem more comfortable in wood.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Can purchased mason bee cylinders fit into your houses?

I don't know if we have mason bees around here naturally.

I was thinking of trying some and placing the box inside the sunroom and having their entrance to the outside so they wont freeze... we get to 20 below here often in the winter.

What is inside your box? Is it just an empty square with holes drilled in the side? The masons our neighbor has, they all live in tubes... and when they came out this spring they seemed find but then we had another hard freeze they lost half of them.
I do not know if the tubes fit, but hoodat is right... they seem to like the wood. Naturally they go for old wood holes made by carpenter bees and other bugs in old wood. As for freeing like to go into a deep sleep... I would be concerned about allowing them any warmth in the winter. There may be issues where they won't be able to hibernate safely.

We're a warmer climate for sure, they hibernate for a shorter period here, but I've seen suggestions about getting the bees into the plastic of paper tubes out in the orchard, and then moving them into your fridge keeping them asleep at a comfortable 40 degrees all winter. Then releasing them in the spring when all threat of frost has passed.