Happy Fall!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAT? Preen is organic???
journey11 said:
My summer stuff is petering out, but the fall crops are just getting started. I spent the whole afternoon ripping all the spent/dead plants out of my flowerbed. I am so relieved to have cleared away that weedy mess! I put down Preen over the area (didn't realize it was "organic" until recently, or I should have been using it all along), then I've got to go back and mulch heavily and set out some pansies for fall. It was a very productive day and a beautiful one at that. :happy_flower

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The active ingredient in Preen is Trifluralin. Here is what the EPA says about it.
http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/wastemin/minimize/factshts/triflur.pdf
journey11 said:
My summer stuff is petering out, but the fall crops are just getting started. I spent the whole afternoon ripping all the spent/dead plants out of my flowerbed. I am so relieved to have cleared away that weedy mess! I put down Preen over the area (didn't realize it was "organic" until recently, or I should have been using it all along), then I've got to go back and mulch heavily and set out some pansies for fall. It was a very productive day and a beautiful one at that. :happy_flower

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just found the organic preen. It is made from corn gluten. I have used it with some success. I'm sure you can find it a lot cheaper than Preen.
catjac1975 said:
The active ingredient in Preen is Trifluralin. Here is what the EPA says about it.
http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/wastemin/minimize/factshts/triflur.pdf
journey11 said:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Carol, did you get a frost this morning?
Hey Marshall, we lucked out :) No frost this morning. At least not here in town. I got up at day break and checked. The things I left uncovered are fine. :thumbsup The 10 day forecast is showing a slight warm up. Seasonal weather. No frost warnings in that period.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the thingds I do in my garden when frost becomes imminent is some defoliation. Removing leaves on things like Tomatoes causes them to ripen faster. On Beans it gets more light to the pods and helps them dry quicker. Snipping the tops of stems on the Peppers to expose them. It does cause some raised eyebrows though.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
One of the thingds I do in my garden when frost becomes imminent is some defoliation. Removing leaves on things like Tomatoes causes them to ripen faster. On Beans it gets more light to the pods and helps them dry quicker. Snipping the tops of stems on the Peppers to expose them. It does cause some raised eyebrows though.
I bet it does! But I am going to give it a try ! I did laugh when you suggested trying to ripen green tomaotes in a brown bag in an upper cabinet. YEAH - like I have even a few empty inches in ANY cabinet! :lol:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, Catjac. I did find out today when I went back in TSC that they make both regular Preen and organic Preen. The kind I bought was the organic, but I wouldn't have bought it either way except that it was on sale 50% off. I found one more of the organic marked down to $2.99! Then I saw the regular, but I didn't get any of it.

Here's hoping it works! :fl