Happy First Day of Spring!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is what we've been waiting for!! I swear, I watched the daffodils open up in front of my eyes yesterday! I would say we are easily a month ahead of schedule! We average 98 inches of snow, the year before last we got 116 inches and this year we had 43 inches ( and most of it melted instantly, because the ground wasn't frozen!) Yay Spring!! Enjoy!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Isn't it just awesome to finally SAY spring!!! :D

I picked one of my tulips this morning to put in a vase on my desk. I just needed that cheery smile right by me. :)

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Isn't it just awesome to finally SAY spring!!! :D

I picked one of my tulips this morning to put in a vase on my desk. I just needed that cheery smile right by me. :)
It will be in 2 hours and 44 minutes! :p :hide

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can almost see everything waking up in the yard and the area in real time!

I love seeing the dramatic crack in the dirt just before something emerges! This week, I have plump hyacinth and zinnias coming alive! Because we bought this house in the summer of last year, I'm watching it all happen for the first time..Tons of daffodils that were just hiding and waiting to show off!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have to wait on my bulbs bc they are all planted in semi-shade and usually are 3 weeks behind everybody else in my neighborhood.
The GRASS, however, is up. My horses started grazing my 3-acre north pasture a few weeks ago. Last Fall's drought did a number on it, but it's recovering. (For horse owners here, it's okay for them bc there is a lot of clover, and a lot of horse-safe weeds, and as long as they keep chewing on it it doesn't have the high-grass-lush-rush of carbs that founder them.)
Happy Spring Planting, ALL!! :woot

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I heard spring peepers last night a month early!!!! the geese are back and it is supposed to hit mid 70's today... Happy Happy Joy Joy :weee :ya

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eeyore here. Yes it's spring...we have 2 inches of fresh snow and snow predicted through Thursday. :rolleyes:
But that's fairly typical for the first day of spring here. Lately the snow has reminded me of the tide. It rolls up to the house and covers the newly bared ground, then a few days later it rolls back to the shaded areas.

But - each time it's rolling further back! Yesterday at low tide I was raking up winter debris and noticed my tulips pushing up. Yaaay!

It'll get here. The sun will shine, the garden will bloom, and we'll be eating fresh homegrown food again.

Just tying a knot in the end of my rope....:)

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
I heard spring peepers last night a month early!!!! the geese are back and it is supposed to hit mid 70's today... Happy Happy Joy Joy :weee :ya
Yuppers, mine started last night, too. And today I saw my crocuses are in full flower!

Normal high for today is 39. Record high was 69, it's already 77! Everything is a month early, I have no idea and I think the meteorologists haven't any idea either, when this is going to end and if it does, how "normal" things will return.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Thistle! Sending sunshine your way! I feel like I won the lottery with the weather we are having! I am afraid it is a little too good to be true... Hang on, its coming!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well thanks Lesa! :) I think it's just incredible that so many of you are getting a jump start! This will have to be a year for the record books. Not just the weather records, but hopefully bumper crops and lots of food put up too. Enjoy that sunshine, and we will be watching for what you're sending!