Happy New Year!!

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm more than a day early but I couldn't resist. I will be spending tomorrow evening at home with my husband and our 5 1/2 year old son. I am going to make lasagna from scratch which I usually do New Year's Day. This year we are going to my parents on Jan 1 so I'm making it for tomorrow night. I'm thrilled to be staying home. DH is in a band and usually has a gig. Fun once in a while, but I'm a home body at heart.
The reason that I posted this on this board wasn't just to wish everyone a happy new year, it was to resolve that next year when I make the lasagna I will be using my own veggies to do it! I have the sauce on the stove right now; used organic canned tomatoes. The noodles I will make in the morning. I'm making a spinach dough and hope to have some frozen spinach next year from the garden to use. We'll see though. If it grows well we'll probably eat it all long before the heat of summer, nevermind New Year's!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oooh, Henrietta, I'm coming to your house for New Years! :rose

I'm going to take down my tree and hang out at home, I think. Which is fine - maybe I'll make short ribs. Hmmm, that sounds yummy!

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Oooh, Henrietta, I'm coming to your house for New Years! :rose

I'm going to take down my tree and hang out at home, I think. Which is fine - maybe I'll make short ribs. Hmmm, that sounds yummy!
Mmmm, that sounds good too! maybe we could meet half way and share!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kristin, Here's Wishing You and Everyone the very best on New Years Day!

I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing to celebrate and that's a sensitive issue. It's DW's birthday!!

My Dad's girlfriend (do the terms girlfriend & boyfriend apply when the parties are over 70 . . . approaching 90? :/ told me a week ago that we should be at their house and she would make dinner & a cake. Two days ago, she mentioned the family tradition of omelets for brunch. And, traditions are important! But, for the last 10 years, my daughter & I have been in charge of the omelets!?!

Remarkably, Dear Wife said the other day the omelet tradition should end after more than 20 years. She'd like a roast even if she's making it herself! I pointed out that the tradition is not 20 years old, it's at least 40! But, DD and I would be happy to prepare a roast.

Dear Father said we'd just need to "play it by ear" since it may snow and there's 28 miles between us . . . Um, I guess this kind of thinking has contributed to his survival. (It's only the family that wants to kill him :/

I gotta find out what Dad's girlfriend is thinking of . . . if anything. Are we showing up with the omelet fixin's?? Hate to put too much pressure on her, she wasn't able to spend Christmas with her family.

Ah, the holidays . . .

Steve

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all!!! :ya

Usually we spend the eve with about 15 couples we knew from our youth. Last year it didn't happen and we were fortunate enough to be invited to a neighbor's "progressive dinner" and party where they house hop (appetizers at one house, dinner at another, desert at another, and celebration at the last).

Even though they are neighbors, we don't get to spend that much quality time with them at once. Last year it made all the difference in our relationships with them, so this year even though we got the invite to go to our old friends' party again we declined to do the progressive dinner this year with the neighbors.

Well, I better get off the computer and help my wife clean... we're hosting desert this year!

:coolsun

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are having blackeyed pea casserole, pork-n-sauerkraut (well, just sauerkraut for me--I'm not much of a carnivore), and, um, booze. :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Happy New Year! My sis and I are having 15 friends and family members over this afternoon for lunch. The menu is black-eyed peas, cornbread, cabbage, smothered chicken with mushrooms, rice and gravy. Someone is bringing desert, but I don't remember who.

Have a great day everyone!

Joan

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Happy New Year!
We are having the standard southern fare also - blackeyed peas (already cooking), cabbage and venison sausage (already cooked), green beans, fried venison, cornbread and cherry cheesecake - yum yum - sounds like a Hee Haw skit :lol:

We will stay home and let the kids come to us (when they finally decide to wake up from last night's revelry!).

Brenda

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wishing everyone Happy New Year's, from this Newbie- to you all. May everyone have a great day and here's to a great 2008 gardening year!:) (Raising my teacup to you all) LOL

Latest posts