Happy Solstice!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we are very true to celebrating the Solstice it is the most rock solid thing we all ..friends and family agree is worth the extra effort of gathering together for..embracing nature and feeling one with the earth ...after all no matter what you believe .we are part of this planet :)

we do not have "special" foods but we all agree to only have foods that are fresh in the moment

I am kind of behind on the planning since it for us begins tonight and ends Sunday night

we are going to a Solstice Fair in Fremont ..and plan to hunt and gather what we need for tomorrows sunset meal tomorrow ..I want to do kind of a tapas thing with fresh minted mojitos for drinks and fresh strawberries for dessert ..nothing fancy just fresh

we do try to go swimming on the 21st so we will take the dogs and go swimming ...burrrrr not my favorite thing to do ...but then we gather again and have a big dinner (still not planned will figure as we go)

I guess our main tradition is to relax not plan too much and let the days flow ..as it should be ..just live in the moment!

does anyone else have some wonderful plans for the weekends celebration?

if not ..try it you will like it :) gardeners and the solstice go hand in hand!!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always plan that I want to have friends over, but it seems like I always get busy or something comes up every year, so I gave up trying.

Have fun! :coolsun

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weee

Work in the garden, soak up some sun and play with my ducks for starters.

This is also opening weekend for my favorite farmer's market and there is also Spring Spree festival.

So I will basically celebrate by staying outside :ya

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're going to a beekeeping field day tomorrow, out in the western part of the state. I mentioned to hubby that tomorrow was the longest day - I enjoy summer, but this isn't my favorite solstice, because in just a few days, we begin to lose daylight, day by day, and before you know it, winter is here - which brings my favorite solstice, the Winter Solstice, because we gain light from there. I know, I'm whacked, but it's how I feel.

But no matter, I hope you all enjoy your solstice celebrations, enjoy the light!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep i'm going to celebrate by getting more planting done and enjoying it outside. The solstice starts on sunday, which is also fathers day so i probably will be out to BBQ.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
We're going to a beekeeping field day tomorrow, out in the western part of the state. I mentioned to hubby that tomorrow was the longest day - I enjoy summer, but this isn't my favorite solstice, because in just a few days, we begin to lose daylight, day by day, and before you know it, winter is here - which brings my favorite solstice, the Winter Solstice, because we gain light from there. I know, I'm whacked, but it's how I feel.

But no matter, I hope you all enjoy your solstice celebrations, enjoy the light!
Oh I am so on board with this one!!! trust me the winter solstice is my favorite too :) especially here in Western WA where the days are so short in the winter you feel like it is time for bed when you wake up!!!!

but to celebrate the seasons in general ...is brilliant in my opinion!

may you all find joy in the moments, your gardens flourish and your family and animals stay happy and healthy ...peace love and happiness to you and all of yours this summer :)
Heidi :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am sick for now... and my husband took the little one to another birthday party I just couldn't get better in time for. :(

Maybe I'll feel better on Monday (my 30th birthday ;) ) and be able to BBQ and collect some more fresh produce to enjoy it!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow

:hugs Get better vfem :hugs

Sorry you are sick -- it's miserable. especially in the summer.........! :th

Sending you lots of :love :coolsun :love :coolsun :love :coolsun :love :coolsun :love :coolsun :love

:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got the structural repair work done in my living room to celebrate Solstice.

Yeah, not so exciting. And it's raining and not too warm here, chilly enough that I am having oatmeal for breakfast.

I had originally planned to make squash blossoms stuffed with fresh herb cheese for dinner, with sugar snap pea salad on the side, but it's been raining all freakin' week, so I only have one male and one female squash blossom in the garden, and the peas are only just flowering. All the sunny yellow flowers that are normally blooming now--I have exactly one orange daylily in the front yard. Last year, I had enough for bouquets in the house. 150 strawberry plants thus far have yielded about 5 strawberries and a bloody army of slugs, thanks to all this rain, and no amount of beer traps, eggshells or coffee seems to be working.

Let's see, I have dry beans from last year, hydroponic tomatoes from a local farm, some kale, a bit of spinach, beet thinnings, canned tomatoes, a bunch of lettuces, eggs, milk to make cheese. Spinach lasagna? Bean burritos?

Latest posts